Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just picked up a new Legacy GT wagon. He took me for a drive this weekend. All I've gotta say is holy crap I love that car!

Beautiful styling and a beautiful turbo sound.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Yeah I have to agree, if I could've gotten a turbo model on my lease I would've been very tempted by the Legacy GT wagon..

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,121 Posts
I test drove one of those a few weeks ago for the heck of it and I thought it was alright. It was an auto and although I do not prefer it over the 5MT I still liked using the sport shift buttons on the steering wheel. The car just doesn't perform nearly as well with the auto, its not bad but it just lacks the responsiveness you'd get with a manual tranny.

The car itself of course isn't too much different from the Outback XT, handling is better on the GT but its ride is harder & harsher. Thats really about it, for me I just love the ride height of the Outback :D

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His has the manual tranny. He's looking at lowering the car a little bit (he's doesn't need the height that the outback has).

The one thing I couldn't believe....took a look at the tires....re92's. Why would they put such basic tires on a car like that?

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
took a look at the tires....re92's. Why would they put such basic tires on a car like that?
...because in snowy areas that sell the most Subarus (Nevada, Vermont, Colorado) performance tires are only really useful a month or two out of the year. If you were to put better tires on, there would be a definite differance.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I just test drove a GT sedan..wow. It had the five speed and it flew. 30k is a lot of money for a car, though. I am a cheap person. Very nice car to say the least, and what a sleeper. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Yesterday I got the chance to test drive another GT, a wagon this time. It does fly with just 1/2 throttle, and it drives very nice. Maybe I'm getting partial to a turbo? N/A is usually my way... Brian

But for me it's all about the price tag. And a Legacy GT is more or less outta my range. The wife's MY03 Baja only cost us 22K with an auto and the whole package of leather, sunroof...

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT Limited
2 Posts
Legacy is F-ing hot!!

I got one about 2 months ago for $27,000.

GT Limited with 15% tint and lots of options.

Fastest **** thing I have ever flown.

Look hot too!!

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Well folks, it's been almost 12 months since my last post on this forum, but I am back.
Other interests have taken up much of my time and so I did not feel the desire to post, but I have since rekindled my Subaru interest in that I have now traded in my Outback 3.0R and purchased a new Subaru Liberty(Legacy) 3.0R B spec 6 speed manual wagon in Obsidian Black.
These are my opinions:
After test driving both the Liberty GT wagon and the 3.0R B spec wagon, I felt that the 3.0R was a better drive especially with the 6 speed manual. The 3.0R engine is much smoother and has a more seamless power delivery whereas I felt that the GT was rough in comparison and there was also a slight turbo lag in some situations.
The 6 speed manual is an absolute gem to use and you are never stuck looking for the right ratio.
I also think that the 18" rims and slightly larger tyre combo looks better than the smaller 17" that come with the GT. The rim tyre combo on the 3.0R gives a diameter of 650.5mm whereas the rim/tyre combo of the GT 625.3mm and this extra 25mm fills the guard better and makes it less body heavy on a too smaller tyre rim combo.
The Liberty 3.0R B spec is one **** of a great car and an involving drive which I sorely missed with the Outback 3.0R, as good as it was. I think the problem I had with the Outback was that it was not involving enough and I really missed having a manual, but now with the Liberty 3.0R and the manual transmission and I am having great fun again! I also think that the brakes on the Outback 3.0R were not big enough for my tastes especially as it is an auto which really do require bigger brakes, IMO.
These are just my personal opinions and everyone is different and has different expectations etc.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Congrats on the car. I'd be very tempted to get one of those myself for my next car, just not sure I want to give up the off road ability though.

How do you find the fuel consumption compared to the Outback?

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Thanks Karl.

So far, the fuel consumption is better than with the Outback albeit only by about 0.5lt/100km. I was getting around 11.5 to 12lt/100km with the Outback and have so far, with two tank fulls with the new Liberty 3.0R I have abtained 10.8lt and 11.2lt/100km.

I also was concerned with foregoing the offroad ability, but as I have only ever been off road a few times in the 50,000kms I had the car I think I can live without it. The Outback is superb off road and it is good to have that peace of mind that you don't have to worry about gutters and the like, but I felt I needed more of a drivers car and that is what the Liberty 3.0R B delivers. This is not to say thet the Outback is lacking in driver appeal, far from it as it is a superb car, but the Liberty is just that much better for ME and MY purpose but others have different requirements, likes and agendas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts