Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one 3 hours away.....2005, 131k on it, asking is $6,674.

Now, it's at a dealer, but they got it as a trade in and are doing no work to it. It was a one owner car (so they say in the ad), but they dont' know the history.

Is it worth looking at? Not knowing the history is what's troubling me.....we want the H6 and I do like the LL Bean........

Thanks again!! I can't wait for your feedback.....:rahrah:

Elle

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
That price is very low for that car. Something is up. Check for salvage title.

Being three hours away, I would not touch it since its at a dealer. If it was private party, maybe, but dealers don't sell cars for below market value.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I agree with tdelker. That's basically a private party price for a 2003-2004 'Bean with that mileage. Very suspiciously low for a dealer.

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never thought of a salvage title....can I post the ad here or is that bad? Better make a phone call....

Just heard back.. no salvage title, no accidents. I'm afraid to get excited...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If you keep asking someone will eventually agree with you :)

What state are you in, and what state did the car come from. I would also ask about flood give the whole superstorm thing. But you are asking someone that might not be totally truthful. The price is low for a dealer, which puts up huge red flags.

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL!! You are so correct!;)

I'm in Connecticut and the car is in Vermont. When I spoke to them yesterday, they said they are selling at a wholesale price, so there is no movement on the price AT ALL.

I am thinking of going for a ride on Saturday so we can take a look.....:29: It's 160 miles, so we can do it in less than 3 hours......

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
WOW !!! That is a pretty low price for a 2005 LL Bean H6...............are they selling it " as is " ?

The 2005 had issues but NOT the H6 engine......is it near white river jct , VT ?

Still worth the drive to check it out......you MIGHT get lucky.....Insist on CARFAX...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just looked it up!! Its at Kinney Auto in Rutland ..........NO warranty......NO testdrive...................unless you are a mechanic...I would stay AWAY !!!!.....OR...bring a mechanic with you.............. It COULD be a great deal...but MUST be inspected by a Pro..........

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's the one!

I did the carfax on it.....3 owners, NEVER been in an accident, and my husband is a good mechanic, so he'll be looking at it. We also have a good friend who is a master mechanic......I'm thinking of asking him to go for a ride...;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
3 owners...................ugh.........how much history do you have with the carfax ? Service and maintainance..........I would definately bring your friend with you to inspect. Tell Kinney you want to look at it...... ON A LIFT......

its a very good price......even if you had to put $ 1000.00 or $ 1500.00 into the car.... you would know what you have in the car.

Bring a SCAN TOOL as well to check for codes... I wish I was closer.... I love checking out cars.....check UNDER the drivers side mat......This is a great indication on how the car was maintained.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Any info on the locations with the 3 owners? It's a good price, nice car. Still, very strange you can't take it for a test drive, which puts a lot of risk in the transaction. Think of it this way: Why wouldn't they "put it through their reconditioning process" and sell it at their normal market? Maybe because they know it's not going to go well? I would keep my eye out on craigslist for a private party sale that meets what you are looking for. Just be ready to move, as the good deals go fast there.

My guess is that they will reset the ECU to clear codes, so I doubt a code reader would do you much good. And you can't take it for a 20 minute test drive to get a code to pop up.

This seems strange:

"We price our vehicles to the market, you'll find the right car at the right price at Kinney. This vehicle will be sold "as is". No guaranty or warranty of any kind. As this is essentially offered as "wholesale" to the public and has not been inspected or reconditioned, the vehicle may not be test driven on a public road. If you are knowledgeable and will to accept the risk as a professional car buyer would, this potentially represents a high value transaction. If you would prefer a vehicle that has been through our reconditioning process, we have a wide selection of vehicles on www.kinneymotors.com."

·
Registered
514 Posts
tdelker brings up some good points and should by asked by you ( elle) to Kinney....why no recon on this vehicle if its so good........ there is a slight possibility..they just want to move it fast......

I would be checking craigslist every FOUR HOURS.........

And really do not understand why they would not put temp plate on so at least you could go down the road.........

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Hmm...selling cars as-is is basically illegal in Massachusetts due to the lemon law. Even though they can do it in Vermont, it just seems odd that they would sell a relatively high-value car this way. Finding a buyer for an H6 Outback in New England is not exactly difficult! They would certainly get a return on investment for whatever it needs. Unless, of course, it has an impending major problem that they don't want to deal with.

It could also be a good deal if it's a dealer that just doesn't want to mess around with older cars (acquired through a trade, maybe?) but they figures they'll get more selling them than putting them out to auction. Really, really tough to say.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
tdelker brings up some good points and should by asked by you ( elle) to Kinney....why no recon on this vehicle if its so good........ there is a slight possibility..they just want to move it fast......

I would be checking craigslist every FOUR HOURS.........

And really do not understand why they would not put temp plate on so at least you could go down the road.........
It is probably a huge liability. If they really have not "inspected" the vehicle at all, the brake lines may be ready to give out, a wheel might be ready to fall off, etc. If they slap a temp plate on there and you drive out, and something goes wrong with the car causing an accident, the dealership will be at fault.

Regardless, it's stupid.

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, this put things in a bit different light.

I spoke to the dealer last nite....the car was a leased vehicle in NJ, sold to someone in NJ then bought by the gentlemen in Vermont who owned it for 5 years. He traded it in for a newer Outback.....shows no accidents, completely clean. Doesn't show the maintenance.

I considered this like buying it from a private dealer, but what I did NOT notice was the inability to test drive it. This makes it like buying it from the auction. I have a call into them to see what they say.

This is EXACTLY the feedback I need....and I'm going on Craigslist right now to keep looking. Problem is, I LOVE the way this car looks, but I realize you have to be careful...... :( I'll let you know, and thank you!!!!

Elle

I was able to upload the pics from the dealer......don't know if they will help at all.....

Attachments

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It could also be a good deal if it's a dealer that just doesn't want to mess around with older cars (acquired through a trade, maybe?) but they figures they'll get more selling them than putting them out to auction. Really, really tough to say.
This is EXACTLY what the salesman said to me last nite as well......it was a trade in, they don't want to mess with it, and they DO figure they will get more than going to auction.

Funny you should say that, jp1203...it's almost verbatim.

Elle

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did already.....;)

He won't come near that price.....he is looking for the $8k, and I understand.

I did talk to the dealer about the NO Test drive statement.....it is NOT true, you can certainly drive the car, they have plenty of roads around to drive it on.

He said they should remove that statement and I agreed...how many people are deterred by that? I know I was until I called.:cool:

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Too bad. He's down to $7700, but that's still a long way from 6.6k. Both are really excellent prices, and I personally would pay slightly more for the knowledge of one owner and good maintenance, if he can verify it.

·
Registered
2005 Subi Outback 3.0R
75 Posts
I am willing to come down. $7,700 is what I am asking. I have a carfax that i can send you. True one owner, very well maintained. PM me if you want to know more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts