Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I have a 2005 OB 3.0R. The heater seems to deliver heat but the display is BLANK and it only blows out of the upper vents. Selecting the "Mode" button does not change to windshield, floor, etc. The radio display is fine. I removed the radio and dethatched the face plate and cleaned the ground contacts and added a little more tension to the contacts for better contact to the metal of the radio. With a cold Midwest winter coming on the horizon any help on a remedy to fix this would greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! Peace

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
912 Posts
The radio and heater controls are one unit, and radios of that generation are well known for developing cold solder joints and tin whiskers. That was about the time the regulations forced lead free solder, and manufacturers had a hard time adapting.

Remove the unit and take it to an electronics repair shop. (Yes, a few still exist.) Have them clean up the solder joints through the whole thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radar, Thank you for your helpful response. I have a Optivsor DA10 professional jewelers head set and did a microscopic visual of this component and all the solders look solid. (attached are some pics). And there did not appear to be any tin whiskers (this was an educational new term for me). :oops: Both the main board and faceplate board seem to be very clean and pristine. I also cleaned all the connector contacts, ground springs and metal plate with DeoxIT D100 (that is what I had on hand - I do not have the Gold 5). Although I might add, all of my dome lights do not come on but the lights on the doors themselves do. Could this possibly be related? Fuse??? :unsure: But that may not explain why I can still get heat and control the temp I just cannot select which vent it goes to by selecting Mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radar, Thank you for your helpful response. I have a Optivsor DA10 professional jewelers head set and did a microscopic visual of this component and all the solders look solid. (attached are some pics). And there did not appear to be any tin whiskers (this was an educational new term for me). :oops: Both the main board and faceplate board seem to be very clean and pristine. I also cleaned all the connector contacts, ground springs and metal plate with DeoxIT D100 (that is what I had on hand - I do not have the Gold 5). Although I might add, all of my dome lights do not come on but the lights on the doors themselves do. Could this possibly be related? Fuse??? :unsure: But that may not explain why I can still get heat and control the temp I just cannot select which vent it goes to by selecting Mode.
Little update (if anybody cares) had all HGs and a complete engine seal (runs nice) and the climate display remained the same (blank). I finally had time yesterday to degrease the engine (clean as a whistle now). Today wife and I loaded up one of our greyhound dogs to go to a greyhound event and I had a climate control display!!!! What the crap!!!! Cleaning the engine off may have something to do with this... maybe?! Although selecting the "mode" button it displays the other vent directions as I select them but still only delivers heat from the dash vents only (will not direct to floor, windsheild, etc. even though the display indicates those vents. Coming back from the event same issue but now the "cruse" light blinks and the "engine" light is on solid. FEEDBACK anybody???? Peace

1 - 4 of 4 Posts