Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so quick intro:
2005 2.5i obw with 69k miles (bought at 62k)

Les shwab just told me that I had a strut leaking oil, I have not confirmed this but I don't think they would lie about that. They quoted me on replacing all four struts and then gave me another quote for two lower control arm rear bushings. 69k seems low to replace struts, as well as the bushing. Should I be concerned?

Now I can't recall what they said was wrong with the bushings, and I regret not asking to confirm. I don't know much about the bushings, so here is my first question:

1. I plan on replacing struts with KYB GR-2 (2005 in front, 2004 in back). I read that I should do the mounts with them, do these mounts have the "lower control arm rear bushing(s)" in them? Or is that a separate part/assembly?

1a. If it is a different bushing, can someone point me in the right direction. Starting with where it is? - noob question I know, I should have spent more time at les shwab asking about it

I have also been considering getting some lift with kings springs, and I would install them with the struts. I am aware that this adds stress to other suspension components.

2. What would be the disadvantage of adding this ~1"(?) lift from kings springs? What exactly would wear out faster and how much faster would it happen?

just FYI, I'm looking into doing some light off-roading. Planning on getting the primitive skid plates and some nice tires. The general consensus seems to be between the General Grabber AT2 and Yoko Geolanders. The problem here is wheel size...

3. From research, it seems as though 215/70R16 is the way to go with stock 2005 wheels. What about 225/75R16? What would be better, and are tire places willing to put sizes like this on even though they aren't the perfect size?

Finally,
4. Would it be better to just buy some 15" wheels and get a bigger tire? Also, opinions/suggestions on grabber vs geolanders is appreciated.

I know that was a lot, and thanks so much to anyone who can help. I have done a good amount of research, but its hard to remember everything you read and get going on a project without advice.

THANKS!

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,447 Posts
Rear bushings on the front lower control arm are a common complaint on this model. They tear. Subaru says they are still strung enough even with tears, but it just didn't look right to me. I used whiteline aftermarket ones as the stock replacements don't always last.

The rear suspension on these cars is lightweight and lousy. Common to see struts worn out by 60k. Your plan for new GR-2s is a good one. They should last longer.

With a lift you might see accelerated wear on the cv joints, and maybe a tad extra wear on the struts & front brakes. If the lift makes it hard to get a proper alignment, you will see more tire wear.

Smaller wheels with bigger tires are almost universally better for off road durability, plus the traction benefits of airing down.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear bushings on the front lower control arm are a common complaint on this model. They tear. Subaru says they are still strung enough even with tears, but it just didn't look right to me. I used whiteline aftermarket ones as the stock replacements don't always last.

The rear suspension on these cars is lightweight and lousy. Common to see struts worn out by 60k. Your plan for new GR-2s is a good one. They should last longer.

With a lift you might see accelerated wear on the cv joints, and maybe a tad extra wear on the struts & front brakes. If the lift makes it hard to get a proper alignment, you will see more tire wear.

Smaller wheels with bigger tires are almost universally better for off road durability, plus the traction benefits of airing down.
Interesting about the bushings, and definitely not comforted with them saying they are "strong enough" with tears.. I'll look into the whiteline aftermarket ones.

You say if the lift makes alignment hard. Is this a common issue with just the lift from the springs? I could see with 2" spacers or something, but with 1" I assumed alignment would still be alright.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,447 Posts
Springs might put some measurements beyond the point of correction. People are doing it and it seems to be working, but be ready for that one. Spacers should not affect it.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, anyone else? What about the trailing arm bracket? Is that an issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts