Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Outback XT, I want to upgrade the front brakes to Legacy GT (2013 Tribeca calipers, specifically).

Do I need the LGT caliper brackets or will mine work?

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
LGT brake swaps? Yes, quite a few. I put a complete set up for sale in the classifieds a while back, got no love. I'll just use them on something eventually.

Using Tribeca stuff? Not so much.

No magic involved, just unbolt your old calipers & rotors and slide on the GT stuff. . . calipers AND brackets. Bleed the brakes and you're done.

Plan on needing 17"s. Don't know of any 16"s that'll fit, but maybe patrickman does. 2.5RS wheels perhaps?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,407 Posts
2005 Outback XT, I want to upgrade the front brakes to Legacy GT (2013 Tribeca calipers, specifically).

Do I need the LGT caliper brackets or will mine work?
Yes, you need LGT rotors, pads, brackets and calipers. The brackets are bigger and they hold the pad out farther to accommodate the larger rotor. The LGT pads are also bigger. Most 16" wheels will not clear the larger brakes.

The same calipers were also used on the 3.6 Outbacks. I grabbed a pair from a low mileage 3.6 Outback for ~$100 shipped via car-part.com

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
691 Posts
My front calipers, rotors and pads will be here tomorrow, but I might not get to the install this weekend. I can post when I do.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
My front calipers, rotors and pads will be here tomorrow, but I might not get to the install this weekend. I can post when I do.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Interested to hear how the install goes and the performance gains.

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
691 Posts
Interested to hear how the install goes and the performance gains.

The install itself went fairly smoothly with only a couple minor issues. The main hassle with the ordeal was getting the incorrect rotors from Rock Auto only to have them tell me I should have known a part their website said would fit would not. That makes sense...

I finally got the correct rotors from CarID Wednesday and installed everything yesterday.

Full Disclosure: My brakes were pretty bad to begin with. My original brake fluid was of unknown age and it took quite a while to bleed all the air out of the system. On top of that, both front calipers were seized pretty badly and I noticed both rear calipers will need to be replaced soon as the pistons are not fully retreating. I cleaned and lubed the sliders though. I say this only to show that original braking was poor and I still have work to do.

I did not do a full bed in procedure yet as I had to run errands and had the wife with me but initial impressions are positive. There is a night and day difference. Better brake modulation, better pedal feel (could be mostly due to new fluid) and significantly better stopping power. This upgrade was absolutely worth it especially considering both my front calipers were shot and needed to be replaced anyway so the overall cost was about the same as just replacing the front calipers, rotors and pads with OBXT parts.

I'm hoping brake performance gets better once I complete a full bed in and the pads are broken in. Since my rear calipers need to be replaced soon anyway I'm hoping to be able to install LGT rear brakes as well later this summer.

·
Registered
2006 OBXT 5-Speed, 1998 OB Auto
65 Posts
Old thread back from the dead. I got the front info I think: LGT rotors, calipers, pads, brackets, and copper crush washers.
What is needed to do the rears? Same as front, or do you need anything different for the parking brake?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,407 Posts
I cannot remember if you can do the rears, but you the rotor size is the same as you currently have so there would be no increase in stopping performance unless under heavier loads or continuous load.

This is for your XT?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Correct. I have a sort of basket case (salt) 2006 XT that has some rusty bits. I just want the best bang for the buck brakes that I can get. I can wait and just get 2004 WRX gold brembos and go from there, but I'm looking to see what other options there might be out there in the $2k and under bucket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ended up buying a used set of gold Brembo's off the 'bay today. After I added up the cost of doing new OEM parts, I was up fairly close to what the Brembo set was priced at so I pulled the trigger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts