Subaru Outback Forums banner

2005 OBXT Ltd. did not come with keyfobs, where to get new ones?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cougar70 
#1 ·
I picked up my 2005 OBXT Ltd. the other day and the used car dealer that I bought it from said they never received any keyfobs for it. I do have three keys for it however. The car has electric doors/windows and since it's the Ltd. trim I would imagine that it should have keyless entry.

With that said, I tried searching around here for "keyfob" but didn't find what I was hoping for. I did find the cars101.com website that lists the instructions (convoluted as they are) of how to program a keyfob. I also found a few places that supposedly sell factory keyfobs although I'm a bit leery of them. Does anyone know of legit places to get keyfobs from that are not expensively priced? I know I could go to the local dealer but I would imagine that'd be expensive.

Thanks,
Ivan

#3 ·
Sorry, never heard of them. Perhaps someone else will have some feedback for you.

#5 ·
Keyless entry was standard on the 2005 (North American models). If I'm not mistaken, it's the same as my 07; there's only one door with a key lock, the driver's, so keyless entry is pretty well necessary, in part, for safety. The 05 came with three keys -- two regular and one valet, and two keyless entry remote controls.

Not impressed with a dealer that sells a car without the remote.

#6 ·
Try www.keylessride.com. I've never ordered from them, but you can either put in your model or the VIN, and it will find the remote for you. I put in 2005 Outback, and it shows the proper remote, and you can get a new one for $65 or a "B-stock" tested but used one for $39. They say it also comes with instructions.

#8 ·
#11 ·
Thanks serotta, I will check them out. I was at the my dealer yesterday and they quoted me about $150 for the new fob, including $50 for programming. I passed, but the sevice tech indicated the 2007s were NOT DIY programmable, that they require a laptop etc...

They are a solid dealer, so I am leaning towards believing them. Has anyone bought a FOB from EBAY / Subie gal for a 2007 OBXT successfully?

#12 ·
Both the guy at Remotez4less and the dealer told me the 05 thru 09's are the same. The programming your dealer might be talking about is the key itself. Those required a computer set up at the dealer.

The two remotes I received came with instructions to program. I tried it and it didn't work. I found another set of instructions and used it. They worked perfectly. I emailed remotez4less a copy of the instructions I used, never heard from them. If you have problems PM me and I'll dig up my instructions and send them to you. VERY important to follow the instructions EXACTLY. I did it about 4 times before I realized I was skipping a silly little step of opening and closing the door after starting the program. Once I did that, it worked with first one remote, then the second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.