Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucked out and got one from an ex airline pilot. 2005 OTB 2.5i manual with 165k Km I had to get the timing belt changed and did the plugs and wires myself, recently changed the PCV valve and a rear wheel bearing, that was it. There's a minor head gasket issue that only weeps in the winter but I've had it for a year and a bit and it's still holding up. Runs like a top! I've put 40K km into it and sh's still got much more left. When it comes time to change the head gasket, I'm not sure what route to take, go to a Subaru dealer, or have a good garage do it? Let me know what you think I should do.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,558 Posts
When it comes time to change the head gasket, I'm not sure what route to take, go to a Subaru dealer, or have a good garage do it?
If there's a good indie shop that knows Subaru H4 engines well, you might do better going with them over a dealer. Check around locally; other Subie owners will be happy to tell you. Montreal is a big place and I'm sure there are many options; I've been there.

And I'm glad you're going into this with your eyes open. You're correct, it's "when", not "if", on those head gaskets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts