Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 subaru outback 2.5I
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 2.5I subaru outback automatic 4eat. It has about 90,000 miles and had driven like a champ in hard city stop and go for the last 50,000 miles with basic maintenance. Recently the car has gained a sudden case of the 1st to 2nd gear delayed hard shifts noticeably harder and more pronounced when slowly coming to a stop. I definitely feel it when accelerating but it's quicker and less harsh It feels exactly like when you downshift too soon with the paddle shifters for the 4eat. I hardly ever used the paddle shifters or sport mode only a few times as a tool to slow down while limping to my mechanic in a few emergency situations involving busted brake systems or on very steep hills. My car had always driven smooth even under rough Daly SF city driving, I live on and learned to drive on a hill that's steepness instills fear in out of town drivers. I'm no mechanic but my dad was an electrician for 40 years and as a family we are the do it yourselves until you need help types. I figured listing any changes that have taken place prior to the 6 or so months since the problem has arisen may help the far more car savvy help me in figuring this out Just in case I contributed. I was driving about 8 months back when my Power steering/ AC serpentine belt shredded Subaru suggests replacing it at 90,000 miles it was at 88,000 so I grabbed one from auto zone fixed it and the car continued driving properly. A month later my starter kicked the bucket I grabbed a new one off Amazon my mechanic put it in all was still well. I decided maybe I should give the old girl some love after two issues fairly near each other and decided to get my oil and filter changed as well as my transmission fluid both done at official national chain stores that specialize in routine maintenance. My power steering pump had recently started leaking and is just kicking the bucket so I bought a new one and was ready too have it installed. My driver side sway bar end link cracked in half probably due to a crap OEM part and My wife getting in a pretty minor ding up involving the left front quarter panel a few years back. My mechanic said my front lower control arm could use replacement so I bought a pair as well as ball joints new front back end links and sway bar bushings in hopes of fixing the aging gal up. We had only got around to the new front end links and bushings about three months before shift issue. I got a flat rear passenger tire 3 months before issue and had it replaced at a tire shop that was confident the 1 used tire I could afford at the time was a good enough match to avoid AWD problems I'm dubious in retrospect. I have decided not to proceed installing all these parts after feeling the shift issue and not knowing how serious it could be. All seemed well but the hard shifts were about 6 weeks over the horizon. To be fully honest in the face of looking like a D-bag trying to put some pep in his N/A donkey show I did put a K & N air filter in and started using my sport mode more then I ever had before about 4 months before the issue arose. I need a working car not to look cool so full disclosure there fellas I can put my pride on the other side of the street where I left the 1 horse power I gained. I have read a lot of posts with similar problems I have been driving with the issue almost 5 months now and it tends to act up in varying seriousness sometimes not even showing up four a short drive some days it thuds at every green and red light. If anyone has any info they think could help I'd be highly appreciative and will read all thoughts given. I was hoping to do a full restore as she headed for 100,000 miles now I'm not sure what to do?

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,256 Posts
Check the trans mount bushing and carrier bearing for excessive play. If you are willing to pay the money to fully restore this car. That includes a transmission rebuild so if it is a tranny issue, that will take of it. Unless you have a different meaning of fully restoring a vehicle? Another thing, did these issues arrise during the trans fluid change? Before or after? Was subaru type hp fluid used? Aftermarket fluids are known to cause shifting issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be warned.... my 2005 limited with 145K began to have issues with slipage etc. and was told it was a torque converter issue. Unfortunately, due to it's design and difficult in fixing, the entire transmission had to be replaced at a cost of about 6K. It was a touch decision to put 6K into a car with that many miles, but determined to get it to 200K at least. This has been a known issue with subaru and there was a service notice about it once, but only if the owner had issues at that time was anything checked. Frankly I would have sold my car earlier if I had known I'd need to put a whole new transmission in.

·
Registered
2005 subaru outback 2.5I
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Be warned.... my 2005 limited with 145K began to have issues with slipage etc. and was told it was a torque converter issue. Unfortunately, due to it's design and difficult in fixing, the entire transmission had to be replaced at a cost of about 6K. It was a touch decision to put 6K into a car with that many miles, but determined to get it to 200K at least. This has been a known issue with subaru and there was a service notice about it once, but only if the owner had issues at that time was anything checked. Frankly I would have sold my car earlier if I had known I'd need to put a whole new transmission in.
I have seen that in a lot of the forums posts I saw on the internet torque issues with a lot of of people saying that with certain subarus it just happens. Some say you just live with it and it can run for years but I enjoy the handling of my car. I Know I got the smallest power for outbacks in our year but I replaced the rear 16mm sway bar with a whitline 20mm and had plans to do a long of suspension work /tires aimed at removing parts holding its power back and just getting overall smoother cruising which this issue really hinders. My car just passed 90,000 miles though and most people encountering these issues said they started at 120,000 plus but then again I live in SF on a ungodly steep hill. Friends of mine with Subarus point to the one used tire I got that although it was picked by a mechanic with knowledge of awd system he kind of eye balled it using a small ruler. When you first were told that it was probably a torque converter issue was there any hope of a transmission repair before they decided to replace the whole transmission? Thanks for weighing in

1 - 4 of 4 Posts