Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2005 outback recently developed some issues regarding the headlights and running lights. Essentially the running lights are on whenever they should not be (when the hand brake is pulled in the first two settings on the light selector), the fog lights and brights will not work at all.
This problems started after I replaced the starter. Prior to replacing the starter I did jump the starter once with a screwdriver.
I have replaced the DRL box and it has changed nothing. I have been unable to find an accurate wiring diagram of the headlights.Any pointers or has anybody encountered a problem similar to this?

·
Registered
19,263 Posts
Essentially the running lights are on whenever they should not be (when the hand brake is pulled in the first two settings on the light selector)
"Running lights", i.e., Daytime Running Lights (DRL)?

Start by checking fuses; in particular, fuse #6 in the engine compartment fuse box, and fuse #18 in the cabin fuse panel. (See section 12 of the Owners Manual for the fuse locations.)

Do your backup (reverse) lights work? They too are powered by fuse #18. If fuse #18 is blown, there's a good chance it failed because of broken wires in the right (passenger) side flexible boot between the rear gate (hatch) and the car body. Lot's of threads here on that topic.

Planning on doing more maintenance and repairs? A full, up-to-date factory service manual, along with other Subaru documentation can be obtained at https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login . Cost is $34.95 for 72-hours of download access; usually more than enough to set up a library of manuals etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Start by checking fuses; in particular, fuse #6 in the engine compartment fuse box, and fuse #18 in the cabin fuse panel. (See section 12 of the Owners Manual for the fuse locations.)
OK! I am amazed! I assumed that it was not a fuse issue because the DRL still would work when the break was pulled. I had checked all the fuses in the engine compartment, but had decided checking others was a waste of time because it did not make sense to me that it would be the fuses. FUSE 18!!!!! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
19,263 Posts
OK! I am amazed! I assumed that it was not a fuse issue because the DRL still would work when the break was pulled. I had checked all the fuses in the engine compartment, but had decided checking others was a waste of time because it did not make sense to me that it would be the fuses. FUSE 18!!!!! Thank you so much!
Good to hear that was it, but, again, there's a solid history of defective wiring to the rear gate causing it to blow and affecting the headlight control.

This thread ( Replace '05 Outback hatch wiring harness? ) has details, as well as links to other threads about the same problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts