Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Subaru OBW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was going to wait till a less financially straining time of the year to Purchase a newer Subaru, kinda had my eyes peeled for a 2005+ Outback XT, However found this on Craigslist today, and it seems the price is very fair, but the mileage is worrisome...

2005 Subaru Legacy

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 2.5i Ltd Tan
Price: $6999
Body Style: Sedan Wagon
Mileage: 159338
Engine: 4 Cylinder Engine
Exterior Color: Tan
Stock Number: 8967
VIN: 4S4BP62C957335038

Worth the $7k asking price given the mileage? What common problems should i keep an eye out for when i go look at it tonight?
NADAGuides Value report
Rough
Trade-In Average
Trade-In Clean
Trade-In Clean
Retail Base Price $6,325 $7,400 $8,275 $10,875 Mileage (159,000) -$1,425 -$1,425 -$1,425 -$1,425 Options: (edit options) Power Seat Std. Std. Std. Std. Leather Seats Std. Std. Std. Std. Power Sunroof Std. Std. Std. Std. TOTAL PRICE: $4,900 $5,975 $6,850 $9,450

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Don't go by NADA. They are very high, like dealer price high. Go by kelly blue book.

Tom

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Don't go by NADA. They are very high, like dealer price high. Go by kelly blue book.

Tom
What Tom said - NADA and autotrader are owned by KellyBlue book. All of their pricing is considered to be manipulated.

The only source I have found to be nearly dead on every time is Edmunds TMV however I found that from about 07 and older the pricing is not as accurate with todays going rate given the used car market has exploded large increases in value the past two years and still increasing due to the lack of cars in the used market.

If finances are tight and you don't have a few grand of if things break and cost a bunch to fix in the bank then I would advise against any of the GT or XT models especially those with 100+ thousand miles on them. Heck I own two homes in CA - own three cars and a boat and have Washington DC painting me with a bulls eye for increased taxes and would not buy the GT or XT with that many miles on them as a only car.

·
Registered
1996 Subaru OBW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Alaska, Everything is high... All the used Subaru's I have been looking at have been $10k plus to get an 05 or newer..... Finances tight right now meaning was going to wait for the big expense of car purchase, but am capable of doing so... and having a savings around is not an issue, the issue being that should i wait it out and buy an XT later this summer and spend $13k for one or just pick this up now given its one of the cheapest newer outbacks i have found. Keep in mind That usually your hard pressed to find 00-04 Outbacks lower than this price as they usually are being sold around 5-9k range...
Assuming all the regular items that should be checked are good, is this 2.5 Ltd going to leave something to be desired while driving the highways up north here? Something that maybe the XT would fill? I do allot of highway driving,windy roads, hills, and passing.

·
Registered
1996 Subaru OBW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove my sisters 06 Legacy 2.5 sedan Auto, and it seemed to have enough pick up, but i would assume the outback wagon is slightly heavyer

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Many say the 4 cylinder is plenty. Take it for a test drive.

I do enjoy my XT and happy that I have it.

Tom

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Here in Alaska, Everything is high... All the used Subaru's I have been looking at have been $10k plus to get an 05 or newer..... Finances tight right now meaning was going to wait for the big expense of car purchase, but am capable of doing so... and having a savings around is not an issue, the issue being that should i wait it out and buy an XT later this summer and spend $13k for one or just pick this up now given its one of the cheapest newer outbacks i have found. Keep in mind That usually your hard pressed to find 00-04 Outbacks lower than this price as they usually are being sold around 5-9k range...
Assuming all the regular items that should be checked are good, is this 2.5 Ltd going to leave something to be desired while driving the highways up north here? Something that maybe the XT would fill? I do allot of highway driving,windy roads, hills, and passing.
H6 is far more reliable and lower cost than the XT and solves your power issue. Far less chance of getting one of the cars that digested parts of its turbo and down pipe.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I really like my XT. It's fun to drive, very nice car. But it's not a cheap car to buy. Maintenance is similar to other outbacks, although more oil changes (2x more often) and you have a increased chance of an expensive repair bill since the turbo can go. But it's worth it to me. And I'm not a speed demon. But I like to pass in the CO mountains :)

Tom

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Stupid double posts!

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
I pad 5700 for a 05 LTD Auto with 175 on the clock private sale in Dec, so that price is in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1996 Subaru OBW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I am currently in an Expedition, Which is a gutless wonder, Prior to it I had a 2006 Altima SE-R, Which offered plenty of power, but i was in Arizona in school, not in the snow commuting... The other Subaru's i have owned were mainly city driving, not long highway commutes. I guess i'm at a loss until I drive it. Worse case, I'll buy it, hate it, and sell it later to get something else, or just give it to the Fiance and still get me something else.

I did just speak with another dealer who has an '05 XT Auto, however he claims there is something wrong with it. States when you press the gas from a stop, it falls on its face hesitating, then "BAM" takes off.... Sounds like a drive train issue to me. States no Check engine lights. Maybe Torque Converter? Anyhow he was asking $11,500 for it, 89k miles, but is willing to take best offer in the condition its in.....

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
That is a transmission issue, the delayed engagement. If you already owned it could steer you towards a fix, but since you don't keep away from it, as the fix is really for 2001's that have that issue. The 2005 doesnt normally have that issue, which tells me it is dying tranny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts