Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
Ive owned an impreza for a while and have done alot with them. About a month ago I bought a 2005 subaru outback with a blown motor. The previous owner drove it on a single oil change for 40,000 miles, the motor then developed a serious rod knock. I bought the outback in running condition, trailered it home and replaced the short block. upon starting it, it had some difficulties, wouldnt start. After playing with connections it finally started and ran fine. No dash lights, nothing. The next day after finalizing a few things i started it again to heard a weird noise in the transmission along with the area around the ecu and under the drivers dash. Now, the cruise light flashes, the check engine light is solid, listing 2 codes (p1714,p0700) and at a stop the "AT oil" and "AWD" lights flash. When driving it would shift hard from second to third and on the highway at 2500rpms would stutter between overdrive and 4th gear. after a bit of searching, taking it to the dealer and troubleshooting i decided to replace the Transmission control module. Just did that tonight and the light flashing problem still exists however it appears to shift smoother.

Known information-
40,000 miles on heads, and complete driveline
70,000 on short block
Cruise light flashes, solid CEL, "At oil" flashes when slowing down and both "AWD" and "AT oil" flash at a stop
Replaced TCM
Check harness and connections

Codes-
p1714- Throttle position sensor power supply circut
p0700- transmission link

Can anyone help? im mechanically inclined and am stumped with this one.

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
Engine, transmission models? Also, where are you located (North America or elsewhere) as there are differences by model year and equipment?

DTC P1714 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
DTC DETECTING CONDITION:
The power supply circuit of accelerator pedal position sensor is open or shorted.
TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
• Shift point is too high or too low.
• Excessive shift shock
• Tight corner braking phenomenon is occurred.

The problem being identified is with the "drive-by-wire" accelerator pedal or wiring to it from/between the ECM and TCM. What led you to change the TCM?

There might be a bad connection at the accelerator pedal assembly connector -- this has been seen before -- or an open or short in the harness.

The P0700 is a "Transmission Control System (MIL Request)".

The transmission control module on-board-diagnostics has detected a problem (P1714). When this happens, the TCM signals the engine control module to turn on the Check Engine Light. (The ECM controls the CEL, so the TCM has to go through the ECM to get the light turned on.) The P0700 itself isn't identifying a particular fault.

Whenever the CEL is on, the cruise control is disabled, and the light flashes to indicate this. When the CEL is cleared, the cruise control will resume function. It's not a problem in the CC.

There might be other problems related to the AWD and AT Oil Temp lights flashing, but the P1714 is known and could be causing these other symptoms. Address the accelerator pedal issue and then go from there.

p.s. If you're going to do this level of work, I would suggest getting a factory service manual for the car. If it's a North American version, the FSM is available from http://techinfo.subaru.com/index.html. Do a search here; there's lost of information on sourcing service manuals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine, transmission models? Also, where are you located (North America or elsewhere) as there are differences by model year and equipment?

DTC P1714 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
DTC DETECTING CONDITION:
The power supply circuit of accelerator pedal position sensor is open or shorted.
TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
• Shift point is too high or too low.
• Excessive shift shock
• Tight corner braking phenomenon is occurred.

The problem being identified is with the "drive-by-wire" accelerator pedal or wiring to it from/between the ECM and TCM. What led you to change the TCM?

There might be a bad connection at the accelerator pedal assembly connector -- this has been seen before -- or an open or short in the harness.

The P0700 is a "Transmission Control System (MIL Request)".

The transmission control module on-board-diagnostics has detected a problem (P1714). When this happens, the TCM signals the engine control module to turn on the Check Engine Light. (The ECM controls the CEL, so the TCM has to go through the ECM to get the light turned on.) The P0700 itself isn't identifying a particular fault.

Whenever the CEL is on, the cruise control is disabled, and the light flashes to indicate this. When the CEL is cleared, the cruise control will resume function. It's not a problem in the CC.

There might be other problems related to the AWD and AT Oil Temp lights flashing, but the P1714 is known and could be causing these other symptoms. Address the accelerator pedal issue and then go from there.

p.s. If you're going to do this level of work, I would suggest getting a factory service manual for the car. If it's a North American version, the FSM is available from Subaru Technical Information System - Welcome. Do a search here; there's lost of information on sourcing service manuals.

Thanks for the reply! It an ej253 with the 4speed automatic, it is a cali emissions car and i am located in north america. I had an extra TPS so i decided to just swap it to see what happened. I was aware on the p0700, i was able to find that by searching but was looking for possible solutions. I wll look into the accelerator pedal issue and take it from there. I actually have a print of from the FSM about this trouble code so i have something to go off of. I just wanted to see if there was an easy fix or if it was a common problem. I have found others with the problem but never posted a solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i took it to the dealer and they said to replace the transmission harness and valve body. I did that and there is still the same problem. Really stuck here.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Recheck everything under the hood, it sounds like a harness issue, just your not looking at the right spot. Retrace all your steps. Check grounds.

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
As nipper says.

If you have the FSM pages for troubleshooting, that can be your guide. If it's like others related to the accelerator pedal, it probably starts out with checking continuity between the ECM and the accelerator pedal and to ground, and the voltage coming to the accelerator pedal. Have you done these specific checks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recheck everything under the hood, it sounds like a harness issue, just your not looking at the right spot. Retrace all your steps. Check grounds.

I guess that will be the mission tonight. I have checked everything multiple times with no prevail but i have nothing else to go on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As nipper says.

If you have the FSM pages for troubleshooting, that can be your guide. If it's like others related to the accelerator pedal, it probably starts out with checking continuity between the ECM and the accelerator pedal and to ground, and the voltage coming to the accelerator pedal. Have you done these specific checks?
I do have a FSM, the dealer went through the steps and found the rear harness had a short, so i replaced those parts and still have the same problem. all the specific checks have been done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
digging this up to see if there was ever a solutin to the problem. i am having a **** of a time locating the same issue. id even followed the steps in the atatched file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would look into physical damage to the throttle body motor and harness. 2005+ Outbacks were DBW (drive by wire), so the TPS was "integrated" into the motor control and feedback circuits.

I know getting access to the torque converter bolts on the 4/5EAT non-turbo cars can be precarious if the throttle body is not removed. It can be done, but if not careful or a slip of the wrench can have you crashing into the black motor cover and disturb the throttle body.

The harness can also be pinched between the block and transmission during reassembly if using the bolts to draw the two together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
RoughDiamond
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing