Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my engine in a 2005 2.5 n/a car with 120k on it to do the head gasket. Figured I would Check on the clutch when it's apart even though it seems strong. Found the clutch disc to have maybe 25 percent of useable material left. I should just replace it while I have the chance, but what about the flywheel. The surface looks very good for the mileage, can I get away with just a new disc and pressure plate? I know you are not supposed to machine he flywheel in these cars. And a replacement flywheel is close to $300. Any input?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
When I replaced my clutch at 90k, I replaced the flywheel. The surface looked fine, but these aren't solid flywheels; they're dual mass. The springs inside may or may not be worn out, so I went ahead and replaced it.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
The standard proper fix for those who plan on keeping their cars - new flywheel - new clutch and new throwout/release bearing. BTW its typical for the release bearing to start letting go before the clutch material is done and due for replacement so of all things you need the release/throwout bearing replaced.

They stopped resurfacing flywheels a long time ago when auto makers decided if it could be machined and re used - it was added weight that wasn't needed. They haven't made flywheels worth machining for a long time. Replace it when you do the clutch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts