Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone decided to bump me a bit while parked in my own driveway. Positive part is they left a note and I got a check for just under a grand. Now honestly this car is a bit older, seems to drive otherwise fine so maybe I don't want to give it all to the body shop to make it look brand new. Any advice on doing some small DIY so that it doesn't look terrible? The black parts on the left seem like I can buff them out, the ones more towards the rear are into the plastic so I would need to so some painting. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Pictures!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
first step is to do a proper detailing and see where you're at.

1. clean up as much as you can - touch up paint any marked/scuffed areas. make sure no metal is exposed if you live in rust prone areas.

2. clean up as much as you can. replace door with a used matching color door. usually $200 or less Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
can do the same with front fenders but not rear.

3. stop by a body shop and ask. try a few places or ask/call around. many body shops are so busy with high end, high dollar insurance claims that they don't need the work and will only price high, you're not worth their time unless you pay unlimited pocket insurance rates.

it's mad money for a proper paint job and risky due to the highly technical nature of automotive finishes and the repair process if needed - or you're paying a lot of money for a really good or really thorough job. essentially what you want to try to do - is avoid body work and painting.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
also doors and front fenders are super easy to swap out. i've done a ton. doors -4 bolts, a pin, electrical connectors and done.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,287 Posts
also doors and front fenders are super easy to swap out. i've done a ton. doors -4 bolts, a pin, electrical connectors and done.
Look at the pics, those are rear QUARTERS, not front fenders. Not so easy...

That damage on the door looks to be on the flare, that should be easily replaceable if the damage can't be buffed out or repainted. Actually, the damage on the quarter is also, should be an easy repaint ore replace/repaint of the flare. The bumper may be another story...

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Look at the pics, those are rear QUARTERS, not front fenders. Not so easy.....
never said they were and specifically said the rears can't be swapped.

If I give a quick cursory glance at an easy topic like this and give more info than needed for FYI or illustration or conversation, it's no big deal, the OP won't buy a front fender and install it on the back of his car.

I'm assuming this is a conversation and he'll reply with whether or not he needs perfection or wants to only spend a little bit or all of it or more...

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got an appointment at the same place the insurance company did their appraisal to get it fixed. But of course after getting the check I'm considering either cleaning it up a bit myself since I don't think I'm interested in having it perfected. Would be nice but it's an older ride and I don't see myself having it more than 2-3 more years, plus it would then be the best looking spot compared to the rest of the car. I was also considering looking at other quotes on prices. I understand I alone couldn't make it perfect but at least make it look a little better. Unless there are any other suggestions you might have I'd be interested to hear. Hey, maybe I could just throw on even bigger fender flares. ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts