Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ruby Red Outback 3.6 LTD, Nav, BT, iPod/iPhone interface, Sat Radio, etc...thinking of adding the kitchen sink ;)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2600 miles on my 2.5i base model (already??? Geesh!).

The car's fuel economy is rated 22 city/28 highway.

I am averaging 23.4 MPG in mostly-city driving so far.

I did get 26.2 on a mostly-highway trip (roughly 90 miles round trip across town, very light traffic, mostly freeway, 65+ MPH).

I'm taking it in for its first oil change this week. Any advice? (Oh, no...it's THAT can of worms again!)

Thx!

·
Registered
2003 Outback
9 Posts
Our 2003 Outback 4 cyl 5 sp gets 25 to 28 driving in Colorado.with no attempt at good MPG

Fuel: 85 Octane

Oil: Redline 5W-40 Oil Change Interval 8000 -10000 miles

Injector Cleaner: Redline Complete Fuel Sytem Cleaner 1 oz / tank

Advice?

If the factory specified oil for your engine is 5W-30 and the oil change interval is 3750 miles ( severe) or 7500 miles (normal )

Run whatever 5W-30 oil the dealer uses for this upcoming oil change.

Then switch at the next oil change to Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic , or Redline 5W-30 Synthetic

If you do lots of highway driving change the oil at the maximum factory approved oil change interval ( it should be 7500 miles)

If you drive harder then change the Mobil 1 at 5000 miles, or 7500 miles on Redline.

After the warranty, you can go normally go 10,000 miles on the Redline.

If synthetic oil isn't for you, I'd say that Motorcraft 5W-30 from Wal Mart is a great oil for very little money.

Conoco bottles their Clear Blend 'synthetic' hydrocracked base stock oil for Motorcraft.

Chevron Supreme 5W-30 is another great hydrocracked oil for very little money.

Hydrocracking is a refining technique that removes impurities and improves the oils performance.

These improvements help the oil companies meet the new oil ratings and make the oil a bit more like 'true' synthetic at a much lower cost.

So this is really a very good conventional oil that is considered, and performs as well as, a synthetic blend.

3750 mile oil change interval would be ideal. 4500 max.

While in warranty just make sure to stay within the factory specs for oil and drain intervals.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
Lithia Subaru of Reno told me that SOA states that you should not switch to any synthetic until 15000 miles. I don't have anything in writing nor a specific bulletin number BUT I'm going to follow that advice.

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Synthetics are BAD things while running an engine in. Follow SOA on this please.
jp 05 OBW 5 spd 2.5, 3700kms old

1 - 4 of 4 Posts