Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I wanted to let you know I really learned a lot from this forum about my Outback, and solved many problems just by searching for posts. But for my current problem I need to ask you for help:

Whenever it is cold outside (-10 F or colder), the starting procedure goes like this: turn ignition to start, she fires up, but surges between 600-15 rpm at idle. CEL will come on and clicking noise (relay?) from under the glovebox. The clicking noise correlates to the rpm, meaning when the rpm goes up, the clicking becomes faster. Turn ignition off, then start again, and idle is constant (around 900 rpm), but CEL on and failsafe mode (max rpm 1100). CEL is triggered by Code P0607 (=Control Module Performance), no other codes. Erase codes, start her up, she runs fine, no CEL, no surging, no clicking. She runs fine all day long until the next morning when I wake her up after a cold night.

My thoughts are I am dealing with a bad ground/wire here, but where? And what relay makes that clicking noise? From another thread I copied the schematics of the relays under the passenger side dash, but I am not sure if I can ID the noisy relay (it is quite cold and pretty dark in the morning, too).

I also had a couple times the airbag light on after cold start, that goes together with the turn signals not working and the outside temp display showing some weird symbols. But it just takes a another start to make that go away.

Any hints as to where to start looking/pulling things apart are welcome!

Thanks,
Andreas

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
How old is the battery? Have the amperage output checked and at the same time check the ground conductance between the battery to engine block and battery to body/firewall.

It could be time for a battery or just a good cable cleaning at the battery and all the grounds.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is 2 months old, at that time I had a bad alternator and I replaced battery and alternator (twice, because aftermarket alternator wasn't charging when warm). All wiring and grounds around these parts were checked and ok.

I still have to do the amp check, though. But it would only show that I have a ground problem somewhere, right? Does the ECM and the relays on the passenger side have a common ground?

Andreas

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
The electrical system relies on amperage flow. That's why your fuses are rated in amps not volts.

The multiple items you list as issues is most likely an electrical issue. Has there been any modifications on the car? Stereo? Keyless entry/start?

It may also be the battery temperature is getting so low that the electrons aren't moving until it warms up.

Try this: Next time you go out to start the car in sub zero weather, turn the key on and the lights and wait a minute or so. The draw from the lights and other electrics will get the electrons moving without a large electrical load and warm up the battery. Then start it. A battery warmer may be your solution, or a heated garage.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,137 Posts
I read that there could be an issue with the DBW pedal assembly. wonder if snow/water in the footwell is causing some condensation/ice in the assembly overnight?

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
You may already have one, but subarupartsforyou.com offers a oem block heater. Maybe with the block already warm it could help the battery start it's chemical and electrical processes that cardoc referred to.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car has a block heater, and it is plugged in every night. The battery should be ok, all systems are working when cold, and she cranks just fine, fires up right away. Ice build up at or under the pedal is something I never thought about, I will check asap.

Thanks,
Andreas

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,137 Posts
The car has a block heater, and it is plugged in every night. The battery should be ok, all systems are working when cold, and she cranks just fine, fires up right away. Ice build up at or under the pedal is something I never thought about, I will check asap.

Thanks,
Andreas

uh, longshot guess. From what I read, cardoc's suggestion about a voltage issue is legit.

try a general google search - that P0607 problem seems to plague people.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a service bulletin out from Subaru about the P0607 problem, which basically says check ground connections. I just need to narrow down where to check, because under the dashboard alone there are 5 or 6 ground connections, and I am looking for the one that provides ground to my malfunctioning modules, ECM and this mysterious relay, and maybe also to airbag module, turning light etc.

By the way, this morning she started without problems, no relay clicking, nothing, just like every other car. I don't know if she knew I posted her problems here...

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick update: weather is warmer now, around 10 F, code never came back since. I was only able to find out the clicking noise is coming from the assembly with four relays on it: oxygen heater, main, etc and fuel pump. I will keep an eye (or ear?) on it should it happen again. Thanks to all who read and replied here.

Andreas

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update: it got cold again a few weeks ago, and I was able to at least pinpoint the problem the control modules under the dash: I put an electric heater on the passenger side floor, and no matter how cold it was, it started just fine. No heat = performance error code and limp mode. That tells me there is a loose connection or cracked soldering joint somewhere, maybe in the ECM itself. But now it's almost spring, so I'll just wait and see what happens next winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts