Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

My heated driver seat in my 2005 OBXT isn't working. The seat that came with the car also had a broken heated seat, but was ripped to shreds, so I replaced it with an ebay find. I installed it, but the seat won't heat up. I've read a fair amount of threads on this so I have a general idea of what's going on with it, but I have some additional questions. I'm not very good with electric diagnosis, so forgive my ignorance.

I measured the continuity on the connections: the green connection going to the seat back heater has continuity (0.03-0.04 ohms?). The black to white connection on seat also has continuity (0.03 ohms?). The black to red/black to red connection has continuity, but was reading 11.64.

Wondering if the black to red/black to red connection might be the issue? Or, is the issue in the switch (it's the roller style)? Any way I can check to see if the switch has continuity?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,977 Posts
You can test the switch to see if it will power something else...as test device.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have the same problem but was waiting for the 90 degree days to go away before worrying about the butt toaster. On the CTS-V it's common to have a broken wire in the seat cushion since the geniuses at GM ran the wire under the left side bolster for some reason.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,049 Posts
Here's the factory troubleshooting guide.

I've seen several threads around here regarding the wires coming out of the heating elements as well. My driver's side seat isn't working. The back does, but not the butt part... you know, the part you really want warm.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,977 Posts
In case anyone wonders, a high quality outdoor type zip tie works fine if you don't have hog rings and hog ring pliers.
Do you mean...everyone doesn't struggle with the wrong tool and re-use each ring?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been referencing those repair .PDFs along with the seat tear down guides. Really hoping it doesn't have to come to that.

I'm wondering if the circuit that is measuring the 11.64 might be the one in question? Maybe it's singed? But if that were the case, it wouldn't measure any resistance...or would it?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

·
Registered
2005 outback, 2016 wrx
67 Posts
I am actually having the same issue with mine (although I havent yet purchased the seat heater element).

I hear that they are often the culprit. It will be interesting to hear what your issue is!

Just curious,

Did you test the new parts before installation?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts