Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. First time Subaru owner here and I’m struggling with something. Long story short had a mechanic that was supposed to replace head gaskets on my 2005 outback. 1 week after he pulled the engine, nothing was done. I showed up and various extra pieces were missing from my car including my entire air cleaner assembly from the fender to intake. I took the car back, intake off and a box of parts and bolts
Finished the job myself and had a heck of a time sourcing all the missing parts. Finally picked up an entire air cleaner system and mounted it when I realized he gave me some other manifold
8749D743-DB35-4302-BF55-55055DAA045E.jpeg

DD43E81F-E9F4-4B25-83DC-34255794792A.jpeg

The intake that connects to the air box is at about a 45 degree angle and is supposed to connect straight back. Any idea which intake I ended up with?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,584 Posts
Hi guys. First time Subaru owner here and I’m struggling with something. Long story short had a mechanic that was supposed to replace head gaskets on my 2005 outback. 1 week after he pulled the engine, nothing was done. I showed up and various extra pieces were missing from my car including my entire air cleaner assembly from the fender to intake. I took the car back, intake off and a box of parts and bolts
Finished the job myself and had a heck of a time sourcing all the missing parts. Finally picked up an entire air cleaner system and mounted it when I realized he gave me some other manifold
View attachment 405313

View attachment 405321

The intake that connects to the air box is at about a 45 degree angle and is supposed to connect straight back. Any idea which intake I ended up with?
Oof, you DEFINITELY got the short-end of that stick. You look to have the weird, 1-year-only intake manifold (3-piece design). Is your car a NY/CA emissions car by chance? Is that the original intake manifold that your car had before you took it to the shop?

If that IS the original manifold, this is the intake you need. 2005 Legacy and/or Outback U5 (EJ259 engine code) intake. Large 'H4' cast into the top (the non-Cali emissions cars have a smooth top like the one in your pictures).

Luckily, there are a few on eBay, asking about $35. I searched "2005 outback intake box". No on realizes it's NOT the same as Fed emissions cars (which have a different intake manifold).

14435AA12A (resonator box only)
14457AA44A (accordion tube)
46052AG04A (upper filter/MAF housing) [This is PROBABLY the correct number, but doesn't specify Cali-specific option]

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are a lifesaver! That is the one that I have. I am not sure why he removed my entire airbox system including the ram and the box that drops down into the fenderwell I ordered the needed parts from eBay. I’m hoping my accordion tube that is not california specific will work. Thank you again !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts