Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2005 Outback from the airbag warranty replacement at the dealer. Ever since, the key fobs don't work. I replaced batteries and tried both fobs.

Is it possible that in replacing the airbags something got reset in the car to make the key fobs not work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,476 Posts
yeah, possible....you should be able to find the fob re-learn/register routine to try - I suppose, if convenient, you could make the dealership do it. If it fails, you'll already be there and they can get you a loaner while they fix what they broke.

look in your manual or maybe www.cars101.com for instructions - they can be tricky so, read carefully and don't give up after a coupla failures.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,988 Posts
Not really. But then odder things have happened at a dealership. You could go back to the dealer and have them check to see if they can communicate with the keyless module. Ask them to try to reprogram the fobs if they can. There's a sticker inside with 8 digits, that's the registration number. Programming this gen fob takes less than 2 minutes.

Have you used both fobs regularly in the past? Or just one and the other one sat dormant?

If they say the fobs are bad, you can either pay their price for replacements or buy from an eBay seller. There's one in Florida that I use that sells good fobs. Low cost too.

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
just got my 2005 Outback from the airbag warranty replacement at the dealer.
When the airbag is replaced the usual procedure is to almost fully disassemble the whole dashboard. That involves lots of connectors.

The keyless entry system involves two parts; the body integrated unit, which houses all the security-related software, and the keyless entry control module, which is essentially the radio receiver for the signals from the fobs. the latter has it's own 8-pin connector. If the connector wasn't reinstalled, all the locking and unlocking functions will work when using the controls on the inside door panels (driver and front passenger), but nothing, including the alarm, will work based when using the buttons on the fob.

Also, do the clock, step lights, map lights and ceiling lights work? If not, then it's possible fuse #8 in the engine compartment fuse box is blown.

·
Registered
2005 Outback AT 252K Miles / 2005 Forester 2.5i Engine 115K Miles
87 Posts
The original keyfob on my 2005 Outback stopped working because the microswitch under the unlock button had become detached from the circuit board and my microsoldering skills were inadequate to fix it.

I purchased a used keyfob on EBay for $18(?) and it included the attached procedure which worked (eventually). It's a little tedious and time sensitive to get the sequence right. So IF the problem is that the internal "reader" has lost its memory, perhaps this may work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I called the Subaru dealer and at first they said it couldn't be from what they did. Then I described some of the details you provided above, and they ended up fixing it for free. They said there was a "loose connection", but it seems that it only became loose because they worked under the dashboard. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts