Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi--

Apologies if this is covered ad nauseum in the archives, I'm having a hard time even figuring out exactly what to search for.

I have a 2005 Subaru Outback w/ the 3.0L & 5EAT. Hopped in the car a couple days ago, started it up, put it in gear, and as I was pulling away from a stop sign I noticed it started requiring loads of throttle to make any progress, and it seemed to get worse.

The car runs fine, and it's not that the transmission just won't go into gear at all. SOME power makes it from the engine to the wheels, it's just that it's very little. I don't know much about how the drivetrain of this car is put together, but it feels like some sort of a torque converter failing, or...some other situation where there is a viscous coupling of some kind and it doesn't have enough fluid, or a valve is failing. It's accompanied by a vague burnt odor.

IIRC there are no problem indicator lights on. The car's computers, at least so far, believe the car is in good working order.

I just moved, and I don't have a regular mechanic around here but I found a guy on the Internet that sounds pretty good. Unfortunately he's not even open till Monday.

The mechanic's shop is 1.4 miles from where the car is parked now (on the street). I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a tow or if it's worth trying to limp over to the shop at 10 miles an hour.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,496 Posts
How's the level of the transmission fluid?

Do you have the Owners Manual? There's a whole section on Maintenance (Section 11), and there are instructions on how to check the transmission fluid (around page 11-22). That's the first thing to do. It would be hard to make more specific suggestions based on your description of the problem without knowing whether the level of transmission fluid is correct.

In any event, based on your description, I wouldn't try to drive it the way it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts