Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my passenger side drive axle, I replaced the inner seal at the trans.......... where is the front outer wheel seal located? I didn't see one or replace one. I did see after finishing the replacement when I was surfing parts online a front outer wheel seal for a 2005 OB although I didn't see one when replacing axle today. any help would be great. thanks:confused:

·
Registered
2001 Legacy 2.5
450 Posts
There's actually 2 wheel seals, inner and outer. The inner is the one that is usually mentioned as needing to be replaced when doing this job. This thread has pics and info on it:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...21119-diy-front-cv-axle-boot-replacement.html

I bought one from Rockauto (be sure to order the INNER wheel seal, as there is an outer one too - which is different from the seal at the trans which they call an "output shaft seal"), but didn't bother to change mine as when I visibly inspected it when I changed my CV boot, it was fine.

May I ask, for the seal at the trans, can it be removed with a simple seal puller? Or is it more involved than that? I've searched for pics/instructions on that, but can't find any good ones. Fortunately mine aren't leaking yet, but as long as I'm planning to keep my car it'll probably be necessary later.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I simply popped mine out with a long pry bar from the top off the motor. the seal came right out......... what year Subaru do you have? I didn't see the outer seal on a 2005....

·
Registered
2001 Legacy 2.5
450 Posts
2001. I didn't even look for an outer seal when I did mine, just the inner one since the Haynes manual mentioned the need to change it if it was damaged during the axle removal. It looked absolutely perfect even with over 100k miles. I had ordered a new one from Rockauto the same time I ordered the new CV boots, but decided not to bother with it since the old one looked great. Seal was only a couple bucks, maybe I'll change it next time the boot fails if it looks like it needs it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts