Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and had a quick question about my outback. I just bought a 2005 Outback LL Bean edition with 60K miles last week. I have been parking in our driveway which is fairly steep. I notice that I get a ton of resistance putting the car into drive once after parking on the decline.

I imagine that the gravity is pulling the car downhill while the gears are working to keep the car in place, so that would explain the tension. However, I didn't notice this nearly as much when I parked my Lexus in the driveway. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
It could just be a difference in the way the transmission parking pawl, which is what holds the car when in Park, is designed.

But if you park on a steep slope, do you not use the parking brake as well? If so, then when the car is in position, keep your foot on the brake, set the parking brake firmly, put the transmission in Park, and then release the foot brake. That way, the parking brake is holding the car and there's little or no tension on the parking pawl; however, the pawl will take on the load in the event the parking brake doesn't hold for some reason. (The parking brake works by holding the rear wheels; the parking pawl blocks the front wheels.)

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
It could just be a difference in the way the transmission parking pawl, which is what holds the car when in Park, is designed.

But if you park on a steep slope, do you not use the parking brake as well? If so, then when the car is in position, keep your foot on the brake, set the parking brake firmly, put the transmission in Park, and then release the foot brake. That way, the parking brake is holding the car and there's little or no tension on the parking pawl; however, the pawl will take on the load in the event the parking brake doesn't hold for some reason. (The parking brake works by holding the rear wheels; the parking pawl blocks the front wheels.)

^^^^yep - and when leaving, after starting, put the car into drive before releasing the brake.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
and when leaving, after starting, put the car into drive before releasing the brake.
Indeed. I should have included that when pulling out, reverse the parking process; that is, start engine, with the brake pedal pressed down move the gear lever into gear (D, or R), then release the parking brake, and then the foot brake. That way the parking pawl is released before parking brake so there's no pressure on the pawl.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing