Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My daughter left on an extended trip, 6 months. Before going we change her oil, filled the tank and that's about it before taking it off the road. Car ran great. After about 4 months I decided I should start the car to keep the battery charged and well, basically just to run it. The car started up fine, when into reverse but I couldn't move the shifter into drive. It seemed like the linkage adjustment was off. I rolled forward and did reverse again. Did that a couple times until I was able to get drive to grab. The Sport light started flashing. Did this some more before I could actually drive the car. Car ran great, auto shifted fine through all the gears, sport light continued to flash but I was able to manually shift. Figured it just needed to work itself out. Waited another month and tried again. Same problem with not being able to move shifter into drive. Shifting back and forth got me drive and auto shifting through all gears works great, sport light continues blink and sport mode was not available at all. Did a few miles of driving around back roads but no sport mode and auto in drive is not a solid grab. She seems to easily jumped out of drive. Had to hold it there to get moving. Once moving it held but not with a lot of confidence. No CEL light yet. Any ideas what would cause a tranny to act like this? Appreciate any thoughts. I checked fluid and that looked ok. Everything worked great before putting her up for an extended period. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
245 Posts
The service manual provides a lot of possibilities for a blinking sports indicator light. The dealer can supposedly read out the actual cause (diagnostic trouble code) using Subaru Select Monitor. Perhaps FreeSSM or ROM Raider are also capable of reporting such codes.

There's also a condition where the sports light blinks AND the odometer displays “Er HC” or “Er tC”. This apparently indicates an issue with the wiring or the transmission control module.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts