Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passed 103K. Budgeting around $1100 for the 105K scheduled maintenance.

I'm the 4th owner. Service records & CARFAX are incomplete regarding maintenance / oil-changes.

Vehicle seems to be in pretty good shape. It was in an accident in 2006. No details, but I'm guessing the rear bumper was replaced at some point.

Trustworthy local shop is recommending both front lower balljoint's (and subsequent alignment) and both rear sway bar end-links be replaced. I've been noticing a lot of steering-wheel movement when I apply the brakes at speed. I don't know if it's related to those issues, or maybe warped rotors, etc. Brake pads are wearing evenly.

I've had the "banjo bolt" replaced. Didn't seem to be in too bad of shape. Bought HID headlights and fog-lights, to be installed soon.

Previous owner had it from ~82K - ~102K (2/11 - 10/12). Ran non-synthetic oil and it's not entirely clear whether he observed the 3750mi OCI. I would guess he spent easily $100/month in maintenance.

Once I get the braking issue sorted out, and maybe have the windows tinted (and probably address the other issues outlined above) I think it will suit me pretty well, and potentially for quite a while.

My question is: how concerned should I be about the (presumably original) turbo and the catalytic converter in the up-pipe?

Figure it's been driven roughly 13K/yr up to now, but I typically only drive around 4K/yr.

I like the vehicle a lot, but the thought of a spending ~$10K to replace the motor has me pretty concerned. I'm not averse to maintenance -- even expensive maintenance (I drove a 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series I for many years).

The alternative is to either just sell it and call it done (I have other vehicles) or wait and trade it toward a 6-cyl Outback or 2014 Forester XT or 2014 WRX (leasing is not out of the question) -- or new Accord V6 for my wife and take her 2013 Acura RDX as a hand-me-down.

--

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
70 Posts
2013 RDX as a hand me down? LOL.
You don't sound like you're too emotionally attached to the OB so the right move is to probably get rid of it. You shouldn't have a problem selling it as long as you're not greedy with the asking price.

OTOH, there probably isn't much to worry about IMO. Just do the normal checks, like compression of cyls and visual inspection of the cylinder heads and engine coolant. Turbochargers are a joke to swap so I am not sure that's a real concern. I don't own an XT but isn't there some kind of simple up-pipe "mod" that I keep coming across on these forums?

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My worry is I'll get it all fixed up and then the up-pipe will puke its guts into the turbo and take out the whole motor to the tune of $10k.

I wouldn't even be too averse to just replacing the up-pipe & turbo, but I also hear stories about new ones going bad.

Part of me is thinking if they have lasted this long, maybe I should just leave them alone?

·
Registered
'15 Limited White/Black ES,Nav,Moonroof,Powergate,HK audio '15 Premium Wilderness Green/Ivory Eyesight Powergate
25 Posts
Sounds to me like you're over thinking things a bit. Any used car can puke it's guts but sounds like you've given it a good look and addressed what needed addressing and I wouldn't let the possibility of an engine failure drive you nuts unless there is reason(noise,glitch etc)to be worried.
Basing it on a lack of service history or threads on here is just being way too pessimistic imo.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
No need to worry about it. The banjo bolt filter clog is the main issue most people have, and you've taken care of that. The cat destroying the turbo is a 'internet' issue - i.e. maybe a small minority have had the issue but not a large concern except if you spend too much time researching on here :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cat destroying the turbo is a 'internet' issue - i.e. maybe a small minority have had the issue but not a large concern except if you spend too much time researching on here :)
Yeah, that's what I was starting to think too.

How about the turbo? Does it have a "fixed" / typical lifespan?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
There have been a few people on these forums that have scared themselves in to replacing the turbo preemptively to prevent damage to the motor when it goes. It's a judgement call, but from my understanding, as long as it doesn't die because of lack of oil, it won't take the engine with it. But like any part, it can go at any time. But I believe I have read of some have lasted in to the 200k. That's an old car...

I am willing to wait until my goes and take the risk. I expect to keep the car till 150k, maybe longer if I still like it.

Tom

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I reckon that if you're paranoid about it, drop the downpipe and measure the turbo shaft play. Way cheaper and easier than the full freakout turbo replacement.

Heck, even just a boost measurement and a trained ear isn't an awful way to go for reassurance.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
You mentioned the previous owner spent $100 a month on maintenance. What needed repairing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Where are y'all coming up with the $10k engine cost? New from a dealer? Unless something truly grenaded (like a rod through the case) you should be able to get it rebuilt for ~ $2,500 plus install (or DIY), more if you're upgrading parts. Even if it did grenade < 100k used engines can be had for $3,500. At $10k for an 05 you'd be better off getting a salvage quote from a yard and walking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts