Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 2005 OBXT 5MT with 102K and now it's coming up on 105K.

I've noticed when it's cold (below freezing), it feels like the parking brake is on. Shifting is also affected. It gets better once it's warmed up.

I'm the 4th owner.

Not knowing it's entire maintenance history, do you think I should have it changed now, or wait for the 120K?
--

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
No harm in changing the fluids now, especially if it results in a difference. With the MT, the transmission and front differential share the same gear oil. Consider also doing the rear differential -- probably has the same servicing record.

Also, if you use the parking brake, then I wouldn't discount the possibility it could be the cause if the cable is binding and not releasing properly. Not likely but a possibility.

At 105k, the car is due for the timing belt etc., change.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
If there's no maintenance history then definitely change the transmission oil. It's really simple and shouldn't cost much. Remove plug, install plug, refill, done.

Side note, Those Turbo engines should be run exclusively on Synthetic oil, they've got some issues handling conventional.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
For the front diff/MT avoid Mobil 1's gear oils. They're fine for the REAR but there are plenty of reports of syncro issues with the MT.

Otherwise, you h=just need a good rated (think 75w90 for your year but check your manual) gear oil.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
although lots of people experiment with the gear oil, very few people complain about the Subaru Extra-S. Might need to take a container and beg the dealer to sell you the right amount, or by from fredbeansparts.com or other online source that sell in quarts. there's a huge thread on nasioc about this issue.

AWDFTW above is correct, many synthetics interfere with synchro function.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just changed the front and rear diff oil in my 2005 OBXT 5MT and used Valvoline's SynPower Limited Slip full synthetic 75W-90 and I've noticed the shifting gets pretty hard when the temp is cooler (until the car warms up). I live in Chicago so obviously I need a gear oil that can stand up to sub-freezing temps. Jury's still out on this Valvoline stuff, so far I don't like the results...

·
Registered
2002 Outback
708 Posts
Irrc, there are synthetics that have a certain friction modifier omitted so they don't mess with the synchros. Cold temperatures are THE prime reason to use synthetics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Irrc, there are synthetics that have a certain friction modifier omitted so they don't mess with the synchros. Cold temperatures are THE prime reason to use synthetics.
Thanks ... still, I've got synthetic in there now and it's super stiff after an evening in the low 50s. So I wonder if I need to try a different weight than 75w-90.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts