Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Recently blew the engine on my Jeep so I was in the market for a new vehicle (fun time to be looking for new/used cars). I had been interested in the Subaru platform for a bit and ended up finding a 2005 Outback XT with 115k miles at a decent price. Apparently its had the head gasket and timing belt job done, and the car looked/felt in good shape so I picked it up. For the age and price I'm expecting to put some money into it to get it running really nice.

I brought it into a shop near me that specializes in Subarus to get a full vehicle inspection. Definitely confirmed the head gasket job was done because it apparently has the heads from a '08 WRX haha. Also has had a catless uppipe put in and the banjo screen pulled. Unfortunately the uppipe is cracked, there is a missing turbo support bracket, and leaks at the turbo inlet hose and intercooler at the end tanks. Only other items are normal things like control arm bushings and ball joints. Then I discovered that the back hatch doesn't lock.

Right now I'm planning on tackling the turbo issues first, going to get an STI uppipe on ebay and debating with getting an OEM intercooler and bullet proofing it or the AVO aftermarket one. Not sure if there will be much performance benefit with the AVO intercooler w/o going to a Stage 2 tune but maybe it will lower the workload on the turbo. Does anybody have a part number of what the turbo support bracket might be?

Anyhow happy to be here, these forums have saved me in the past doing work on my previous cars and hopefully I'll bring some interesting projects/help to the table as well.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Automotive side marker light

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
I had a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon, put in a Perrin intercooler and there was nothing wrong with it, but in retrospect it wasn't necessary but the car was new off the showroom and I was paranoid about intake air temperatures since I was going to slightly increase the boost, had the downpipe and uppipe, greddy exhaust, etc., tuned it with a laptop and a tactrix cable.

Reactions: LosOsos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info, I will probably have it tuned once it is running proper but not sure if I'll ever throw on a different downpipe and go beyond Stage 1, so it's hard to justify spending ~$700 on an intercooler.

That diagram is very helpful! Nice to know that website has this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than checking the health of the turbo and cleaning the throttle body is there anything I should do while I have the intercooler and uppipe off?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts