Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I expect this thread will be part request for help and part rant. Apologies in advance. :frown2:

I picked up what was a pretty clean Outback XT manual w/65K miles some time back, and initially it was a lot of fun - removed the banjo filter, gave her synthetic only, and all was well, at least until it wasn't. Used to see Outbacks running with 200-300K miles on them, but am starting to see the Outback as a 100K mile car.

Why?
Once I hit 100K or so..
Throwout bearing started making noise. Ok, not the end of the world - many vehicles will go years with a squeaky throwout. Yeah, not this one. Literally leaving work to get my wife to rush her to Urgent Care, the clutch 'went dead' about halfway home, a week after the first squeak. Had to power shift it, traced the front input shaft as I got stuck 100 feet from house at a stop and needed it in the driveway. I got off relatively cheap for a Subaru apparently, but still well over $3k to get sorted.

3 wheel bearings replaced. The other needs it. One was just outside of the TSB or recall window, Subaru claimed they'd cover half, but they charged me 3x what my local shop did for all the others. Meh.

AC compressor - bearing shot, replaced compressor.
PS pump went out - replaced.

I also made the mistake of opening my sunroof. bad idea - now the front section won't close flat, with the driver side staying jacked up and open. Haven't dug into it yet as I'm been trying to avoid ripping out the headliner as something I generally dislike doing (never seem to go back in right, while I've replaced my own convertible tops in cars and gotten them perfect..)

Before that yet still ongoing some $1500 later, the P0171/lean cylinder code which is still in place.
1. Replaced a TON of vacuum related items, from PCV valve to literally every vacuum hose and fitting.
2. Replaced/re-did a couple of electrical connectors - 1 and 2 combined were $1K+ as I had no time to do it myself. Driving less than 3 miles = CEL back on.
3. Next round was the fuel pump as the shop claimed it was somewhat low at startup. Forget the bill on this one but more $. This actually seemed promising, but within a week, the CEL was back on.

So, rant aside - if anyone has any advice on how to stop the &^##& CEL for good, or a link or info on how to fix the sunroof w/out buying a $1600 assembly from Subaru - would absolutely and sincerely love to hear about it. :smile2:

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Re the P0171, can you post LV and a log with roughness counts?
Were the vacuum line replacements the result of smoke testing? Presumably the smoke test is good now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Vacuum and related replacements. Yes, the shop did smoke testing, and I'm not doubting the results in this case, just annoyed at the cost of 'replace if in question' and hoping that was it.
LV = ?
Let me poke around the code scanner - it's a new one to me, and believe it can offload logs but haven't done it yet.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
what code reader you got that can take logs?

for logging: most here use free Rom Raider on a windows laptop. and a $10 Vag cable.

if doing reflashes (uploading tune code to the car),...you NEED $170 Tactrix.

but for just logging a $10 cable is OK.:smile2: (and try a couple times to connect).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-guides/184170-romraider-logging-dummies.html

______

and a p0171 with minor misfires is to me a front o2 sensor code. (with more junk codes at times...all taced to the poor data going to the ECU from the dirty old front o2 sensor that lost its mind).

edit: but logging reveals what to buy before wasting money replacing perfectly good parts.

Reactions: traildogck

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,293 Posts
It may not resolve all your issues... but anytime I clean a MAF sensor, I notice stronger pull up hills in a higher gear. This tells me that there is more fuel getting injected. (less lean)

To clean MAF, remove it, spray liberally with carberator cleaner into crevice where the wire is.... follow up with LIGHT puffs of compressed air to dry it quickly.

With XT (turbocharged), it is IMPERATIVE you correct the lean condition. It is all too easy to burn some valves by running lean. After that, your engine will have lumpy idle and poor power forever. (unless you replace valves)

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,564 Posts
Unfortunately, you are learning the hard way that low miles NEVER equates to "good condition". Just ask the Ferrari and Rolls Royce owners that spend 5-figures due to age-related maintenance/repairs. Lots of those "under 100K miles".

Next, I would find another shop. They seem to be at the end of their diagnostic capabilities and are starting to "shotgun" parts to fix. Some time and data analyzing would minimize wrench time and give you a good start. If you're unable to do it, it can get expensive to pay another person to do it. But data logging on your daily commute and reviewing data on lunch is a good start.

I did not see any mention of AF sensor (upstream) or oxygen sensor (downstream) investigation. On these cars, the downstream sensor can play a role in the "learning" values for the computer and the computer can/will use these values for fault determination. Not to say you don't have an actual lean problem, but if the intake system smoke tests are coming up solid, you need to start verifying your data.

The sun roof likes to break the plastic tabs that raise/lower the front panel as the rear panel retracts. You can manually operate the sunroof by removing the small access plug in the headliner (near the rear hatch) and using a small hex socket/wrench. You can watch the mechanism from the top and sides of the sunroof opening to see if the clips or tracks are causing issues. You do not need to remove the headliner to adjust the front panel pivot/anchor points, FYI.

The XT can drain your account if you can't/won't handle most of the drivetrain related maintenance, but are one of the most rewarding do-all vehicles made.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
The XT can drain your account if you can't/won't handle most of the drivetrain related maintenance, but are one of the most rewarding do-all vehicles made.
Very Well Said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts