Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of days I`ve had the `grinding noise at startup` which is well covered here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49752-starter-grinding-right-after-start-up-3.html

I read the excellent write up from the legacy forum & have had a quick look. I`ve found the lower bolt of the 2 holding the motor in place is completely missing, which probably isn`t helping!
I`ve tightened the upper one as much as I dare in the short term. Is there a chance you might know the spec for these bolts? - thread pitch & dia & length - it`ll save me being immobile for a day while I get it matched up. I`d rather leave the upper one in place for the moment if I can.
Many thanks if you can help, Julian

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,287 Posts
If I recall correctly, one of them is a "bolt" the other is a threaded stud with nut on it.
Perhaps the missing one is the stud?

If you cannot locate replacments.... a scrapyard may be the best place to get a replacement.... if you remove it yourself, it should not be more than $5.

In any case, removing and lubricating the starter is a good idea. It will be quieter and likely last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the message Bruce - I`ve gone ahead & pulled it & the upper bolt is M10 x 1.25 x 100mm. The threading for the lower hole matches so I`ve ordered a bolt to suit. The bearing in the nose of the starter has collaped completely & the consequent poor location of the bendix has done a little damage to the ring gear but not as bad as it might have been. New starter is on the way & hopefully that will sort it out.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
Per input from @brucep - be aware that if a stud with a nut is there instead of a bolt, there's probably a reason for doing it this way - e.g. there isn't enough clearance to extract or reinsert a long bolt when everything is pulled tight together.

I'm not sure this is the case, but it would be very bad to find this out when you already have everything pulled back together and are ready to install and snug up the bolts.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got delivery of the new motor & it`s in place. The lower bolt is somewhat shorter - 80mm approx, but there is plenty of clearance so easy access from below. Some of the ring gear teeth have taken a hit from the few times it was used with the old starter with shot bearing but there is still plenty of contact even if it`s a little noisier than before. Hopefully several years left in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts