Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live in Northern VA and know how to work on Subaru Boxer engines (or know someone who can do it cheaply), this might be a good deal for you:

I can't post a link in a first post, but if live in Northern VA and search for "2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Wagon 4D" it should come up. Details are also copied below.

Please contact me through Facebook if interested.

Thanks,
Scott

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Wagon 4D - $1,800

Viewed by 1,730 people
  • About This Vehicle
    • Driven 130,420 miles
    • Manual transmission
    • Exterior color: Burgundy · Interior color: Grey
    • 17.0 MPG city · 23.0 MPG highway · 19.0 MPG combined
    • Poor condition (engine problem)
Seller's Description

2005 Subaru Outback XT - Garnet Red - 5-speed. Manual transmission, turbo (fun to drive!). Two owners--me, and a coworker who I bought it from in 2015.

It is in great shape, other than needing an engine repair (more on that later). If I can't sell it, I'm either going to trade it in as-is, or donate it to a charity and take the tax writeoff--that's why I'm selling it so cheaply.

It also may be valuable just for parts. Here are parts installed recently:
  • Four New Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires, installed July 2019 ($750, installed)
  • New A/C compressor, June 2019 (parts: $500)
  • Front brake pads & rotors, June 2019 (parts: $170)
  • New wheel hub assemblies, rear wheels, Sept 2019 (parts: $260)
  • New clutch, installed July 2017 (parts: $1,100; has only 17k mi on it as of now)
Engine repair details: After an incident where the car started running very rough, and the engine got so weak it could barely push the car, my local mechanic gave me an estimate of $3700 to $3900 to have "cylinder heads installed and machined". They don't repair cylinders at their shop, they would have to send it out, so there's an extra layer of cost in that estimate. * IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THIS WORK, or know someone who can do it cheaply, this is probably a good deal. If you would just take it to a mechanic like I would, then it is probably not worth spending $1,800 on this. *

I have all service records since 2015. I bought it in 2015 at 95k miles. New timing belt was installed at 88k miles by previous owner (I have service records for that from previous owner).

Other nice things:
  • Subaru all-weather floor mats (all four foot wells and trunk). Durable and easy to clean.
  • Sturdy smart phone holder mounted to the right of the steering wheel (see interior pics)
  • Stereo: AM/FM stereo, 6-disc changer (with MP3 playback) Bluetooth FM adapter for playing music and phone calls through the stereo
  • Factory fog lights, wing mirror defroster, windshield wiper heater
  • Dual-zone climate control
  • Limited-service spare - never used, but kept inflated
  • Two NMO roof mounts for antennas (professionally installed)
  • Two direct 12V lines - one to under passenger seat, other to trunk (professionally installed)

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
620 Posts
Did your mechanic tell you what the problem was? Heads needing repaired/machined seems strange..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.