Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I read somewhere that the 2005 LL Bean Edition can only take premium gas... is this true? I've found one that I really like but I don't feel like paying 20-30 cents more at the pump every time for a liter of gas...

Any input is welcome, Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
I just picked up one of those today. From what I've read, it is only really needed for heavy hauling or high altitude operation. Normal day-to-day commuting, regular is fine. I'll probably run mid-grade myself.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The car can adapt to lower octane. You will lose power and MPG but not a lot of either. It is up to you to calculate cost per mile- people have beaten it both ways, so you need to factor in your driving style.

·
Registered
2006 H6 3.0R LL Bean wagon and 2000 H4 OBW
454 Posts
We use the 87 octane in our 06 LL Bean with the 3.0. We have not noticed in pinging or anything out of the 'norm'. I ran the high octane on a trip once but no noticeable difference.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
According to the Subaru Outback Research page, the 2005 LL Bean version has the 3.0L H6 cylinder engine, 250hp, active valve control (premium fuel recommended).

So there you go.. I can confirm this as a neighbor of mine had one..

Steve

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Premium fuel a MUST !!!!!.............It will help prevent future issues...Its about 25 cents more per gallon.........Average use per week is 10 gallons......Thats $ 2.50 A week.................$ 125.00 a YEAR.......................so you have to ask yourself is it worth it for the xtra power and BETTER for the engine. and better MPG ................I run ONLY Premium.....NICE !!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the answer. Hopefully it will still be for sale in the next month or so while I get the money together.

@Subaruman49 - I'm in Canada and right now gas is $1.45 per LITER, not gallon. That's for regular, premium last time I looked was about $1.65/Liter. That adds up quickly haha.

Hope the price drops soon... >.>

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Not to start a war but it's recommended not required. If it would hurt the engine SOA would surely require premium. If it's not pinging, save your money.

·
Registered
2003 Outback LLBean 3.0 65K miles
8 Posts
I own a 2003 LL Bean and have always used Premium, except for a brief experiment with regular. I noticed a slight ping and mileage dropped about 5-10%, so I've continued with premium ever since.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Not to start a war but it's recommended not required. If it would hurt the engine SOA would surely require premium. If it's not pinging, save your money.
^This

Under normal daily use you'll be fine. As mentioned you may lose a couple HP and possibly some MPG (doubtful), but the engine will adapt fine.

It's REQUIRED for all turbo engines because of their higher compression ratios to prevent predetonation.

IMO, use it or get a 2.5. Do the math, if saving a couple hundred per year for slightly diminished performance is worth it, buy a 2.5 and save that money upfront and in the long run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts