Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate being the guy with zero posts asking this but I did search and found a bit of info but need some more.
I'm taking a look at a local 2005 XT tomorrow and need to know what to look out for. It's a 1 owner vehicle and looks to be in great condition in and out. It has 90k miles, leather, 5 speed manual and he's asking 11k. I heard that the timing belt needs to be replaced around 100k but what else should I look out for?
Thanks in advance for your consideration.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
timing belt is 106K

The usual make sure the tires match, drive in a circle at idle speed and check it does it smoothly and doesnt fight you.

Keep in mind if it has the auto HVAC you cant change the stereo easily or cheaply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With regards to the timing belt what is the cost to replace that? Do you have to bring it to a shop or can a diy get the job done?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Yes it does.

It sounds good, but i want my ipod and blue tooth. There are several ways around it including some ways to get an aux input. Me i replaced mine with a 2009 unit and got a GROm audio module.

Depends upon your needs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2005 SOHC is much easier then the DOHC, you can do it yourself.
Don't let this scare you. The DOHC is a one banana job for a shop monkey. The only thing that makes the DOHC more difficult is the need to lock the driver's side cams before removing the belt. You can do that with either the vice grip method or Company has a nifty tool for $50 (which you could easily re-sell for probably $45). Just get a complete kit from gates with pulleys, tensioner, and water pump. I'd personally add t-stat and hoses but YMMV. It's maybe a 3 hour job. Mine took a little longer than that because I upgraded to the 11mm STI oil pump and wanted to give the FIPG overnight to set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With regards to the price, is that about what I should be paying for this? Up here in Montana Subaru's tend to fetch a premium.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
timing belt is 106K

The usual make sure the tires match, drive in a circle at idle speed and check it does it smoothly and doesnt fight you.

Keep in mind if it has the auto HVAC you cant change the stereo easily or cheaply.
105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. A 2005 will be hitting 105 months very soon, probably before you'll have time to drive 15k miles. In your shoes I would budget on doing it a month after you buy the car. That way you aren't spending money on it until you've had a chance to make friends with the car, make sure you're going to keep it etc.

I put the JDM double din kit in mine to address the stereo issue, wouldn't even consider doing it any other way. Huge improvement. Wasn't cheap but it has been completely worth it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would make sure the car has documented history of oil changes, preferably every 3750 with synthetic. Anything less and you are taking a chance on the condition of the turbo/lubrication system. You might want to have the car checked out or if you have the expertise yourself check axle boots, front LCA bushings, brakes, struts/shocks if any of those things need replacing you will be prepared for it and could use that to bring the price down as well.

You will definitely want to remove and check the passenger side banjo bolt filter (you can search that here or legacygt.com) immediately after you buy the car, either replace or remove it altogether. Don't take a chance, or get lazy "I'll check it later" it is critical to turbo life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from taking a look at it today. The car was in pretty good shape had a few scratches on the outside. Leather was okay had some wear marks on the drivers seat. Pretty sure the heated drivers seat didn't work as it didn't warm up on my test drive. The car did however run strong, shifted well (short and crisp throws, the brakes were good not great (seemed like it took a while to slow down and couldn't even get the abs to engage). Given all that I think I'm going to pass on the car, the guy said he wouldn't go below 10,500. Honestly I think I'd pay at most about 9k for the car. Oh well guess I'm back to searching craigslist.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
I would figure $1500-ish for a "do it right" 105K service.

I think having the banjo-bolt replaced cost me around $100.

I've been meaning to add up all my receipts. My 2005 Outback sounds pretty similar (manual, leather, etc). It's sure fun to drive, but it's kind of felt like a money pit.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
With regards to the price, is that about what I should be paying for this? Up here in Montana Subaru's tend to fetch a premium.
They seem to be pretty high here in Colorado Springs too.

KBB says $11,718 for Excellent and $11,318 for Very Good w/90K here.

$10,993 for Good, and $9818 Fair.
--

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
That sounds like normal XT brakes. Price is fair. Fun car to drive.

·
Registered
'97 Outback Limited, 2.5 DOHC, Automatic, ABS
97 Posts
Are you buying a car or a radio?? Avoid this car.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Pretty red car.

Fairly dismissive when you just say "are you buying a car or a radio" especially with phones with gps/music/phone that work via bluetooth.

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
That sounds like normal XT brakes. Price is fair. Fun car to drive.
This. Stock XT brakes are a not outstanding.

That red is nice. You don't see too many of those around. Of course that means I'll see three on the way home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts