Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

Β·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we got to get this party started with the 2005 Outback talk. The USDM OUtback will debut at the 2004 Chicago Auto Show on Feb 6-15. I want to go soo bad, its only 8 hours from Omaha! Anyway, I'm sure out Aussie friends like Losiho can tell us many things about it already. From all the buzz, it sound like it will be a knockout that will exceed sales expectations. It is already doing that in most places where it has been released around the world like Europe, Japan, and Australia. Well I'm anticipating it very much so, what I really want is for Subaru to mate a manual tranny to the H6-3.0. I don't see them doing that but it is a nice thought!

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you can find them on the web, I'd reccomend cutting and pasting them in a post. You can scan them if you like but it may take a while for them to load on the thread page. Either that or just link to them if they are on the net, that would be the best way:)

Β·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
I'll second the H6 - manual combo. The subie dealer near me says that there will be an Outback GT (250 hp turbo 4) available with a manual. The H6 will be auto only. While you can't really trust dealers too much, these guys have been pretty good in the past. I guess we'll see.

Kevin

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure Subaru will shaft us on the H6 manual idea. The turbo-manual is a better concept from a performance standpoint, but for those (like myself) who like the smooth, torque-rich H6 but dislike auto trannies it is perfectly feasible. Most American car buyers would rather have a nice V6 as compared to a Turbo-4, although enthusiasts are different of course. I think the main thing is that the only tranny that could sustain the H6 power levels is the STi's 6-speed and that probably would not be cost effective to put in an H6 OB. Its a novel idea for many, sadly enough I don't think it will happen :(

Unless I am very Wowed by the new OB, I think I'll keep mine until Subaru comes out with an H6-manual combo. It will probably be a while:25:

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MY04 PMed me today to give me his initial review of the Australian 3rd gen Outback, he said he'd get back with more later:

G'day mate
I sat in one at the dealer a while back and for me the seats were to low

I have seen the new outback briefly and as a matter of fact i cruised by one in a carpark today.I like the front end my wife doesnt (but she doesnt like my subee with a bullbar on either)We both dont like the rear end with the reversing lights which are mounted weird.I sat in one at the dealer a while back and for me the seats were to low

1st impressions
is that the new Liberty/Legacy??? because of the clearance
i could tell it was an outback

2:I sat in one at the dealer a while back very briefly and for me the seats and entry into the vehicle were too low for me,i didnt adjust the seat so i dont know if the entry thing can be remedied

I prefer the look of all the pre this model outbacks

I love the idea of the 3l 6cyl motor and wish they would turbo it an put it in a Forester with lo-range with at least a 30% reduction on oem

If i can get some time i will go and look one over and see if i cant get a test drive or at least some pics
cheers
Tony

Β·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
The drivers seat in the standard spec Outback can be raised up by pumping a side lever and in the premium spec it can be raised via the electric seat operation.

As for having a manual transmission available, I think you'll like the new 5 speed sportshift. It really is a gem. I like manuals and do miss driving a manual, but the new 5 speed "manumantic" works very well. So much better than the old spec H6 torque sapper 4 speed!

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suba, its great to finally here from a 3rd Gen Outback owner! :D

Many reviews say that the new 5AT is great, international owners I've talked to agree. Still a 6MT is a dream of mine with the H6-3.0, it is such a nice engine with great potential. I could really show it potential with an STi 6MT, c'mon Subaru give us 6 cylinder lovers a stick shift :banghead:

Suba, please if you would, tell us more about your Outback! I'm sure EVERYONE on this board would love to hear what you think :D

Β·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Cao Cao,

I would agree with your sentiments regarding a manual transmission for the H6 Outback. Whether a 6 speed is necessary is something for discussion, I guess. I must admit I do like booting around in a manual (I had a 2.5lt Outback 3 cars ago) and it was great fun to drive!, but alas like most modern large cities, Sydney is getting choked with cars and a manual becomes a tiresome chore in stop/go traffic, so an auto it is (as well as the fact that the H6 comes in auto only).

I have shared my thoughts on the H6 on other sites, but just in case any here may have missed them I'll do an updated version now.

The new 5 speed auto really allows the motor to work so much better than the old 4 speeder. It is much quicker changing and doesn't sap the power like the old 4 speed. The new auto box really allows this car to move and it is now a case of having to restrain yourself when driving so as you can keep your license.
I cannot express too greatly how well this car goes and for a higher riding type car handles very well.

The overall feel of the interior is quite upmarket and a nice improvement over the old. I really like the red highlite lights on all the buttons when the lights are on, it looks very BMW. The interior has been well thought out and there are a number of little things that are quite cute, like the seat belt lights. On the centre roof sunglass holder (standard spec without sunroof gets the sunglass holder, whereas the premium spec misses out due to the sunroof) there are 5 seat belt lights that work the following way:
Drivers seat belt light comes on red automatically if you don't have your belt on.
Front passenger light comes on red if their belt is not on. There is a sensor in the seat.
Rear passengers lights come on green ONLY if their belts are done up. So, if you have 2 rear passengers and only one light is on then you know the other doesn't have their belt on.

Another nice touch is the rear window wiper. When on intermittent it will switch automatically to fully on when reverse is selected so as you can see out whilst reversing.

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
subah6 said:
The new auto box really allows this car to move and it is now a case of having to restrain yourself when driving so as you can keep your license.
Great review Lance, just what I was looking for! :D Wow, this must really be a studhorse! My biggest complaint about my OB is the auto tranny, **** you SOA get this car here FAST!!! I just can't wait until May or June or whenver this car gets here, I just want to drive it til' the wheels fall off.

Well I'll probably kiss this car in Chicago when I first see it :10:
You Aussies and everyone else just remember that the U.S. is going to get THE BEST new Outback due to Subaru's slickery ways. Tinted windows, 9 inches of gound clearance, and they'll probably throw in some other goodies to make us Yanks that much more arrogant about ourselves :21:

For once, we Americans might actually get a better car than the rest of the world gets. I shouldn't speak too soon, I'd hate to blunt my arrogance before this thing hits the streets :p

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Losiho said:

I thought the new Outback will be a light truck, not a car, in the USA ? :p :D

Oh, and btw Lance, we want pics ! Post up some pics of your car in the Gallery section ! :)
Yes it will be a light truck, ha ha ha! Its not that big of a difference, but I'm still gonna rub it in the rest of the world's face!!! :21:
For that thread look here.

And yes, Lance we need some more Outback pics in the gallery! I might just put your Ouback on the homepage to replace that dorky looking press pic of the 3rd gen OB ;)

Β·
Registered
350 Posts
Losiho said:

The main issues seem to be trim rattles - I don't have any in my car, with the exception of the rear cargo blind.
This is the one area I was hoping Subaru would improve. My '01 has a rattle in the driver door panel, a rattle from somewhere in the rear, and a slight dash rattle. Hopefully these are early build issues and will be resolved.

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are a few things on the 2005 Outback from Cars101.com, Cars101 has been a very reliable source of information so I'll acknowlegde anything they say in regards to Subaru as truth.

a few of the MANY changes on the new 05 Outback

New names: Outback 2.5i Limited, Outback 2.5 XT turbo and Outback 3.0 R
Ground clearance increased by more than one inch
Higher seating position for improved frontward visibility
Increased angle of approach and departure and ramp breakover all increased for greater rough road drivability
Towing capacity now 2,700 pounds on four cylinder Outbacks and 3,000 pounds on Outback H6s.
New 2.5 XT model 250 horsepower turbo engine
Wheelbase lengthened 1"
Track widened 1"
Engine/transmission mounting position lowered for better stability

New four-stage heated front seats on all models
New eight-way power driver’s seat and standard four-way power passenger seat on many models.
New Dual zone automatic climate control system has been added to all .
New side-curtain airbags
New intelligent dual-stage deployment front air bags.
Expected five percent improvement in fuel economy
New reclassification of the Outback to a light truck.
Here is a direct link to that page.

Also here is a link to their 2005 Legacy page if you are interested.

Β·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Cao Cao it does seem that overall the USA version will have some pluses over the Aussie version, but the Aussie version gets a sexier rear end with 2 nice fat exhaust pipes complete with chrome tips fitted very nicely through the lower rear bumper. I will have to wait til I get my car to take a pic, but for now you can have a look here http://subaru.com.au/explore/outback/exterior360.asp?item=23253 to get some idea. From the pics on Subdriven the USA spec doesn't have visible exhaust/tail pipes at all. http://www.subdriven.com/gallerytk/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=Automobiles/Outback/2005&start=24#

Cao Cao said:

snip

For once, we Americans might actually get a better car than the rest of the world gets. I shouldn't speak too soon, I'd hate to blunt my arrogance before this thing hits the streets :p
:p

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No one knows for sure if the USDM 2005 Legacy or Outback will have those mellon cannon exhaust tips. They probably WON'T come on the Outback because of its "light truck" status just so it can uphold it's image of a SUV alternative rather than a sporty offroad wagon.

Β·
Registered
350 Posts
ground clearance

I noticed on Subaru's media site that the ground clearance listed for the Outback is 8.3 inches EXCEPT on the 2.5xt. The turbo gets 8.7 inches. I wonder why? I wonder if this is intentional (to make the xt the offroad outback) or if the turbo is getting a slightly different (sport orientated) suspension? What does everyone think?

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: ground clearance

injektilo said:
I noticed on Subaru's media site that the ground clearance listed for the Outback is 8.3 inches EXCEPT on the 2.5xt. The turbo gets 8.7 inches. I wonder why? I wonder if this is intentional (to make the xt the offroad outback) or if the turbo is getting a slightly different (sport orientated) suspension? What does everyone think?
Very interesting, I didn't even know that :D

Well that narrows my choice down ;)

Β·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
I got Mine! / ground clearance

Hi, I got my car, Yay! :10: It's great, of course, leather is soo much better quality than the Mazda 6 has.

One point to note about ground clearance is the specification in Aussieland is 7.9-8.7 inches i.e. up to 8.7 but not less than 7.9

Β·
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: I got Mine! / ground clearance

Jondalar said:
One point to note about ground clearance is the specification in Aussieland is 7.9-8.7 inches i.e. up to 8.7 but not less than 7.9
Congrats on the new Outback!:D Always glad to have another 3rd Genner aboard! About the ground clearance, what models have what ground clearance?

FYI, we need a full review ASAP!!! Or at least whenever you feel comfortable writing one :) Cheers, Kevin

Β·
Registered
39 Posts
The European Outback models(2,5l(MT&AT)+3.0l) are all rated with 200mm groundclearance. Thats about 7,8 inches...

greetings
Arne

1 - 20 of 140 Posts