Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB 3.6R Limited Satin White Pearl with Ivory interior
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I have been a member of the board for some time, I have not been very active. My wife's 2012 3.6R Limited brought me here and lead me to the dark side of the Subaru world. So with the help of a local Subaru guru (Subaguru), we are working on a clean '05 to add to the auto fleet. As I mentioned in the intro thread, the XT was originally picked by the Subaguru and a friend who rescue out of commission Subarus and bring them back to life. After picking up this one, the friend found a manual XT that became the base for his project car and the car I am working with was slated for a stock repair. When the Subaguru heard I was looking for an XT I checked it out and we put together a plan for it. Before they picked up the car the previous owner spent a small fortune on dent removal for this clean car. It also has newer tires and the interior is great for the 140k or so miles on it. A great starting point for me since I wanted a 5EAT because the Mrs will not drive a standard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
If I have my story straight the demise of the engine began with the original turbo failing followed by a turbo replacement, and then a rapid descent in total destruction. When the Subaguru pulled the pan what he found was no real surprise - metalflake oil as expected.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,119 Posts
So is the car up and running with a new short block, oil pump, oil cooler and rebuilt heads ?

Nice looking body. Watch for rust under the bottom seam edge on the doors.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
285 Posts
I would recommending upgrading the valve body inside the transmission. This helps shifts the transmission more aggressively. I had this done to mine and I love it. It helps make the car more like a manual transmission when in sport mode or normal node. I also had an additional transmission cooler and a 9-inch fan on the cooler. I have not yet wired up the fan quite yet. I have other things that are more important to do with the car, but the wires do make it into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,582 Posts
I couldn't have hit that FOLLOW button any harder!

Reactions: Marcinho

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is a beginning of the parts list going on the car:

Cobb catted downpipe
Cobb turbo inlet
Cobb crank pilley
Nameless uppipe
Killer B cast oil pan, windage tray, and pickup (I got it unopened for $300!)
Killer B water pump housing
HCFI VF52 with billet wheel and porting
Cylinder 4 cooling mod

Still need:
3-port boost controller
Cobb Access Port and custom tune

More details later

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have also picked up a spare 5EAT out of a LGT. The valve body from it will be sent for a Hexmods replacement. The extra trans pan will be cleaned up and tapped for a trans temp sensor. I wanted an aluminum pans for the 5EAT but no luck. An Autometer trans temp gauge will be added along with some other additional gauges.

Once it is up and going I’ll add a thermostatically controlled trans cooler on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eventually the sound system will get upgraded with a JDM double din kit. Working on picking up things on the cheap and have scored these things so far:

• Infinity Reference 6.5” components and Reference 6.5” coaxials with Subaru adapters
  • i88 and radio wiring harness

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some obligatory pictures of the goodies I have purchased. Firs up - gauges mounted in the dash pocket. I currently have trans temp and oil pressure gauges in place but might install others in this location. I picked up the adapter on ebay and the gauges/angle rings are left over for a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee I sold a couple years ago.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the goodies from Nameless - the up pipe & magnetic drain plug. (The extra plug is for the 3.6R) The additional items in the box were a surprise. Looks like I can dress up the new to me tool box with the stickers.

I painted the up pipe with a few coats of John Deere Muffler Black paint. I have used this stuff on Ag/LGT with great success. Over time is looses the gloss but holds up well. Will see how it works in this high heat application. I know it has survived 30+ years on my dad's John Deere 4010 diesel muffler while being subjected to many hours of heat from working under load.

Reactions: Marcinho

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Killer B Pan - I picked it up locally after the seller traded in his WRX before installing it. At $300 I could not pass and this time it worked out being second in line as the first person never showed up. My cash and willingness to meet up at his convenience scored me a deal. The Killer B pickup was part of the original build but this was too good to pass up. I'm very happy to have the additional oil capacity.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cobb catted downpipe - preparing for a future move back to my home state that does emissions checks. I have not made up my mind about painting it with the same paint I used on the uppipe. I have some time to decide as the turbo is still about 2 weeks out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As she sits at the moment

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This is the finish that will be on the compressor side of the turbo from HCFI

Re-manufactured 2009-2014 Subaru WRX IHI RHF55 VF52 Turbocharger.

Wastegate cracks are cut, welded and reinforced(if applicable).

All parts and components are cleaned/media blasted, inspected and replaced as needed.

All parts listed below are replaced/new.

- Upgraded billet brass thrust bearing

- CNC machined journal bearings

- Oil control rings(seals) made of heat treated tool steel

- Thrust washer

- Thrust flinger

Compressor housing can be coated in either wrinkle red or wrinkle black powder coating. Let us know if you would like a different color and we can accommodate you're request at not additional charge. You can choose any color prismatic powders offers.

Turbine housing is coated with a high heat Cerakote finish.

Optional upgrades for this turbo includes a stock size billet compressor wheel as well as 16g, 18g and 20g sized billet compressor wheels. We also offer gasket matched/knife edged porting for this turbo.

We can convert these turbos to a dual ceramic ball bearing setup.(Message us for details if you would like this service)

Attachments

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,119 Posts
FWIW, I find it easier to bolt the turbo to the up pipe. The bolts I used are the same as the one that bolt the up pipe bracket to the block. I find the studs make it hard to line up the oil return, turbo inlet and up pipe at the same time.

I use gold heat foil in the underside of the turbo heat shield.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited
90 Posts
I am jealous of your Cobb Downpipe. I have contacted just about everyone in the US for one and nobody has one and Cobb says 9-10 Weeks on back order. I am looking at a similar build to my 2005.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am jealous of your Cobb Downpipe. I have contacted just about everyone in the US for one and nobody has one and Cobb says 9-10 Weeks on back order. I am looking at a similar build to my 2005.
I got lucky after searching for MONTHS and found it with a vendor that has a reputation for being hit or miss. I ordered it immediately and it arrived quickly without problem. I'm pretty sure I got the last one in stock. Yeah, really lucky.

·
Premium Member
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,582 Posts
Have you considered an Invidia or any others? Is there any particular advantage to going Cobb or..?

·
Premium Member
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited
90 Posts
Have you considered an Invidia or any others? Is there any particular advantage to going Cobb or..?
Availability. In our current situation there isn't much of anything available if it has to come across on a boat. I found/bought a Magnaflow CAT so I can get the car on the road. I had to have the "Fits a 2005 Subaru Outback XT" custom fitted because they dont have a separate part number for the auto versus manual transmission. We all know they are NOT the same. Sorry to highjack the thread over a downpipe.

·
Premium Member
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,582 Posts
Availability. In our current situation there isn't much of anything available if it has to come across on a boat. I found/bought a Magnaflow CAT so I can get the car on the road. I had to have the "Fits a 2005 Subaru Outback XT" custom fitted because they dont have a separate part number for the auto versus manual transmission. We all know they are NOT the same. Sorry to highjack the thread over a downpipe.
Crazy. I didn't realize supplies had gotten that low. I mean, I jump on ebay and I see downpipes all over the place by different vendors, invidia, rev9, grimspeed, cnt etc but most are catless and most of them are in the US but if you want a catted one they indeed look hard to find.

What's different on the AT vs MT? Mount location?

Hate to be a pest but I'm trying to get my head wrapped around XT/LGT AT vs MT since I've got plans of my own soon-ish

1 - 20 of 113 Posts