Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB 3.6R Limited Satin White Pearl with Ivory interior
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The FXT donor is finally in the shop and the engine removal is under way. With the severe cold and snow-verload we received in January and February getting the maimed FXT into the shop was quite the challenge. Shop hopes to have it going and ready for delivery by the second week of April.

One change to the parts list - Swapping the lightweight crank pulley from the original parts list for a Fluidampr balancer assembly. What's a couple hundred more when doing a project like this. Anyone need a lightweight crank pulley?

I'll host a couple vids of the 140k mile donor running before undergoing surgery and share them later.

·
Premium Member
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited
90 Posts
The FXT donor is finally in the shop and the engine removal is under way. With the severe cold and snow-verload we received in January and February getting the maimed FXT into the shop was quite the challenge. Shop hopes to have it going and ready for delivery by the second week of April.

One change to the parts list - Swapping the lightweight crank pulley from the original parts list for a Fluidampr balancer assembly. What's a couple hundred more when doing a project like this. Anyone need a lightweight crank pulley?

I'll host a couple vids of the 140k mile donor running before undergoing surgery and share them later.
Happy to see your project is progressing!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Heads are off and dropped at the machine shop that does all the Subaguru's machine work - heads should be ready late next week. The Subaguru is very happy with how they looked when they were removed - Cam journals look great and everything else checked out.

The next question about the donor engine is... Did we get lucky and score an EJ257? Time will tell.

I'm also considering these wheels for it. Something different and not flashy. I would get them in the 17" version so they could be used on my wife's 2012 OB 3.6R if needed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Obligatory photo/place holder

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,119 Posts
Just to verify, you did buy ARP heads studs, right ?

Just saying...looks like that shop needs a good cleaning...sorry, way to many tripping hazards on the floor.

Reactions: Thomas461

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Shop is indeed chaos... I'll take that from a shop that has a great reputation and stands behind the work. And as one who tends to be cluttered I get the madness. He's off to the local rally x event this weekend so work is on hold this weekend.

ARP head studs and Fluidampr EJ damper are ordered and will be here next week. Heads are on track to be back from the machine shop later next week.

Next step for me is to update the AP with the most recent OTS tunes and drop it off at the shop.

Also checked with the local shop about the Sparco Terra wheels. He can get them and can match Tirerack prices. Add one more thing to the list of parts. ;-)

Looks like Project 49 and Holding is moving right along and could be on the road by my birthday in April

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah, I understand about the great shop that is a mess...;) At least they know what they doing when it comes to fixing your car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Heads got delayed at the shop but they are done and at the shop. The guru is very happy with findings. The head studs are at the shop and hopefully engine reassembly will begin tomorrow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Stopped at the shop today to drop of the AP and progress is under way. The guru asked about TGV deletes and the showed me a JDM set he was going to install.

The Killer B pan and water pump neck with a coat of John Deere Muffler Black high temp paint.

Here’s the Fluidampr

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The re-assembly is under way!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
The injured heart is finally out of the car!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Looks like a stock downpipe, are you fixing that ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Looks like fantastic progress. You will be back on the road in no time.
TGV deletes will throw a CEL if you don’t program them out?
The JDM lower intake manifolds (AKA TGV deletes) will cause a code that will need removed. The catless up will cause another and there is a third one that will also need removed. No big deal as I am getting a custom tune from Graham at Boosted Performance because of the VF52 upgrade.

Looks like a stock downpipe, are you fixing that ?
Yup - I have a Cobb catted downpipe for it. With the broken heart (LOL) out of the way the guru will do the downpipe swap and a few other things.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
And a recap of the engine/performance parts list as of 3/21/2021

Subaru (JDM)
- Lower intake manifolds (TGV deletes)

Cobb Tuning items
  • catted down pipe
  • 3 port boost controller
  • turbo heat shield
  • Accessport (custom tune from Boosted Performance)
  • Intercooler coupler
AVO
-
Turbo inlet hose

Killer B
  • Oil pan, windage tray, and pickup
  • waterpump housing

Nameless
  • uppipe
  • magnetic drain plug

AEM
- Wideband kit with iwireservices.com harness adapter

ARP
- Headbolts

Fluidampr
- Harmonic Balancer

Hill Country Forced Induction
- VF52 turbo with porting and billet compressor wheel

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The Cobb Downpipe for our vehicles has changed. They now have a GESI Cat attached. Because it’s higher flowing Cobb is charging an additional $100 for it. Max Capacity mentioned in another thread that you can get pretty good money for the original CAT pipe. It might make that swap doable. I really want to run the stage two. Did you source a new VF52 or rebuild? I have been looking at upgrading the no name turbo that came in the box when I bought the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
The Cobb Downpipe for our vehicles has changed. They now have a GSI Cat attached. Because it’s higher flowing Cobb is charging an additional $100 for it. Max Capacity mentioned in another thread that you can get pretty good money for the original CAT pipe. It might make that swap doable. I really want to run the stage two. Did you source a new VF52 or rebuild? I have been look at upgrading the no name turbo that came in the box when I bought the car.
This was the LAST Cobb automatic downpipe I could find and scooped it up last fall. I am sure it is the previous generation version. I did see the other conversation too.

As for the turbo, it is a rebuilt VF52 with some upgrades from Hill Country Forced Induction. Beside the normal rebuild, I opted for a standard size billet compressor wheel and ported compressor housing. The guru has worked with HCFI turbos in the past with good luck. Look back in the thread and you can see the pics if you missed them. The port work is amazing.

As for why I chose the VF52, there are a multitude of options out there that promise big numbers but that's not my goal. I went with a conservative upgraded VF52 to add to the tried and true combo of the VF52 on the EJ255/257.

The Subaguru said that he is impressed with my choice of parts, the amount of research I have invested, and looking at the big picture when doing the build. He is confident this will be a responsive, fun, and easy to drive car that will pack a real punch when the go pedal is used generously.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
This was the LAST Cobb automatic downpipe I could find and scooped it up last fall. I am sure it is the previous generation version. I did see the other conversation too.

As for the turbo, it is a rebuilt VF52 with some upgrades from Hill Country Forced Induction. Beside the normal rebuild, I opted for a standard size billet compressor wheel and ported compressor housing. The guru has worked with HCFI turbos in the past with good luck. Look back in the thread and you can see the pics if you missed them. The port work is amazing.

As for why I chose the VF52, there are a multitude of options out there that promise big numbers but that's not my goal. I went with a conservative upgraded VF52 to add to the tried and true combo of the VF52 on the EJ255/257.

The Subaguru said that he is impressed with my choice of parts, the amount of research I have invested, and looking at the big picture when doing the build. He is confident this will be a responsive, fun, and easy to drive car that will pack a real punch when the go pedal is used generously.
Thanks for the info. I am itching to pull the trigger on the downpipe. I have it in my shopping cart. My wife says that’s a dangerous move for me, she is right. I am sure with all your upgrades bits you will have a very responsive OBXT. My wife is a bit scared to drive mine as the turbo comes on pretty quick with the stage1 tune. I can’t imagine a better turbo, boost solenoid, downpipe and a custom tune what it would be like. It’s amazing my 2005 has better pick up then her 2020 OBXT. Very interested in how your build turns out. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Finally ordered the JDM dual zone kit and hazard switch from AVOJDM.

The factory hazard switch can be adapted but I would rather save a bit of time for the install.

I already have the i88 harness so I need to get the regular wiring harness adapter and going to install an older Kenwood Excelon double-din unit with hands free for now but will do an upgrade to touchscreen double din DVD unit at some later date. I have a huge CD collection because I'm stuck in the 90's.

No updates on engine swap at this time. I'll be over by the shop for work and will check in later today.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts