Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Semi complete! I put 4 new kyb Gr-2 struts on my XT today (04's) in the rear and King lift springs. I am thrilled with the way it handles, firm but not at all harsh. I'm used to driving a well maintained classic BMW 325is w bilstein struts etc and this rides similar to that. It feels connected to the road now, awesome. Overall lift is about an inch over stock. I'll post numbers tomorrow. My wife was amazed at the transformation of the car commenting on how stable it feels. It's going for an alignment in the am. I'll post some before and after pics then

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did the same on our 08 2.5i.
King springs, GR-2 shocks, Whiteline swaybars and endlinks.
Car is much better on the highway, especially with extra people/weight inside.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where did you purchase from? Any specific part numbers? Where did you pickup the King springs? Total investment?
I feel like my 08 LLBean suspension is worn out @ 40K.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can get king springs from primitive racing and GR-2's from tire rack. Not sure if those are the best pricing options. I am currently shopping around for the same items. For an 05 the king springs from primitive run 450 shipped. I believe tire rack had 65.00 per on the GR-2's.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Same here. I put the King Springs and GR-2s on my 2004 H6 and it went from "wallowing Buick" to handling pretty good for a lifted AWD wagon. If I buy a newer Outback at some point, I'll almost definitely do the same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the consensus on my 08 to put 08 GR-2's on the front and 04's on the rear, or 04's on all 4 corners? Can you run the GS-R's without adding king springs?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The main thing about the 04 rears is the dampening rate, fronts probably go with year specific gr2. Even without replacing the springs you'll notice a difference.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Stick with 05-09 fronts. They were designed right. The 05-09 rears are just way under-damped. The 00-04 car was heavier, and the rear shocks meant for it are set up to take it. Those shocks improve the feel of the 05-09 cars, especially with anyone in the back seat or cargo.

No spring upgrade required, though it is the next step if you want more of what you got out of the shock upgrade alone.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It's up to you whether you go with 04 kyb fronts. The stock ones are no where near as bad as the rears, but if you want to stiffen things up a bit, the 04 fronts are a good way to do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Noticed a *clunking* over rough roads from the passenger rear, slight at first, more noticeable as of late. Finally raised the rear of the car to see a blown rear pass. strut. I could see quite well in the reflection of hydro-fluid/oil pooling below said faulty suspender.
Just ordered a set of: '04 Outback KYB GR-2 Rear Struts from MotionLab.
I'm not certain, but I imagine my front suspension is original. With 110k miles on the car, will replacing only the rears (for now) cause other concerns with the handling and/or geometry?
And am I sacrificing anything by re-using my '05 Rear Springs?

2005 OBXT 5MT

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
Don't Do It

Toss the stock springs. Back me up guys. I just did a comnplete suspension overhaul on my 2006 XT. I did King stock height rear springs. Check put my posts/threads for my trials and tribulations and the extent of my other mods. ( don't want to burden this thread) My car sits exactly level unloaded. Squats only 1/4" with 500lb payload. It handles like it is tethered to the road. I am so happy. I considered the Kings for the front, I am happy Paul at Primative Racing talked me into the "wait and see purchase". The Kings are a great rate match to the factory front setup. Call PE         :: Writerguy :: Ken Eklund

:)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
You're fine. Replace the rears now, but do the fronts as soon as you can.
I would reuse the springs because I'm pretty insensitive to minor changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
this was helpful. I think I am going to go ahead and upgrade the rear suspension in my 06' XT. I don't know much about cars and have picked up what I need from here and found a KYB "parts dealer" in my area. Thinking about going in there and just getting a quote on what ordering and installation would be. Don't trust myself enough to "DIY"....All I know is I want a smoother ride and it sounds like the front is good to go from what I've picked up from this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
12 Participants
dudeabides
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing