Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the first turbo go at 85K. Had a subaru dealer do the replacement and just had the turbo go again at 125K. Really unhappy with the car. I don't drive it very hard and I can't afford another dealer replacement (about 2250). Is there any way I can get the turbo fixed at a lower cost so I can sell it? It has been a HUGE money pit and I really wish I wouldn't have bought it 5 years ago.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Search this board for info about the BNR turbo replacement.

I have no personal experience with it, but the word is that it's a better unit at a lower price.

XTs are not cheap to keep up with- it's all about making sure you get enough fun per dollar.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
28 Posts
ahhh that sucks..I bought my xt when it already had a turbo replaced - but then i hit around 90k mi (i drove it hard) and my turbo broke apart into the engine. had the entire engine replaced, luckily warranty covered it. I heard the 2005s had a lot more problems though. There are some people on here that have experience with turbos so you should get some advice. Good luck

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
You'll see many people on the LGT (car, not sexual orientation) forum selling stock turbos. Some are being sold as cores so you can get a BNR, etc but there are some perfectly good stock ones sold as well.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Maybe grab a lower mileage used one from a salvage yard and bolt it on?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Check out legacygt.com People replace their stock with an upgrade, but they are all starting to get long in the tooth at this point. There are also some rebuilds out there.

You probably have a clogged banjo bolt filter or a cracked oil pickup tube if you keep blowing turbos earlier than expected, but no other engine damage. Either that or you aren't keeping up with the oil changes (3750 miles).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I have been keeping up with the oil changes, especially after blowing the first one. I change it every 3000 to 3250. I don't dare take it above that. Just frustrating. I think I may try to get one of the used ones and save me a little cash just so I can sell it!

Anyone want to buy one with a blown turbo? LOL

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Have you pulled the banjo bolt filter to see what it looks like? The cracked oil pickup tube would be next on the list of possible reasons you keep having turbo issues. A lot more turbo related info over on legacygt.com as I said.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,195 Posts
No, I have been keeping up with the oil changes, especially after blowing the first one. I change it every 3000 to 3250. I don't dare take it above that. Just frustrating. I think I may try to get one of the used ones and save me a little cash just so I can sell it!

P.S. The oil cooler adapter o-ring will or already is leaking in your car. Ask me how I know - doh! (my wife has an 05 OBXT)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Mine has a little oil coming from that area. Nothing terrible. I will get to it when I do the next coolant chance, since you have to drain the coolant to do this, and I just did that during the timing belt.

I think many people just live with the leak.

Unless it gets worse...

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,195 Posts
Mine has a little oil coming from that area. Nothing terrible. I will get to it when I do the next coolant chance, since you have to drain the coolant to do this, and I just did that during the timing belt.

I think many people just live with the leak.

Unless it gets worse...
Coolant? I thought it just required draining the oil?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The oil cooler is oil-to-water, so when you remove it to replace the o-ring you have to breach both oil & coolant circuits.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,195 Posts
The oil cooler is oil-to-water, so when you remove it to replace the o-ring you have to breach both oil & coolant circuits.
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying Raster, it's a big help!

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,105 Posts

How often are you checking the oil? Any idea how much was on the dipstick when the turbo failed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I check the oil about every month. I checked it this AM and it is right where it should be.

Wondering if Subaru checked the banjo bolt when they did the first turbo replacement. I am going to have to check the paperwork. If not, would I have the ability to go after them for some of the repair cost?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Good luck with that. There is a TSB that explains what they should do if there is a blown turbo (check for metal in the pan, check the banjo bolt).

Turbos eat oil suddenly and unpredictably. You need to be checking your oil every time you fill up with gas, and never let it get lower than 1/2 qt down (half full).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Tdelker. I am getting it rebuilt locally and then hoping to drive it a couple of more months. I've got 3 young ones and the maintenance on it has been a bear. If I can get it to the summer then I can really clean it up and try to sell it. It was a lot of fun to drive, but after blowing the first turbo, I haven't driven it like I used to. I haven't used the paddle shifters in the last 2 years! :( How often should I have someone check the banjo bolt?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I feel like I should write you a ticket for not taking advantage of the dollars you've spent on gas, oil etc.

I'm not aware of any published guideline for checking the banjo bolt filter. I've had eyes on mine once in 2+ years/26k miles now, might have a peek again when it warms up for summer.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I figure every spark plug change should also include a change of the banjo bolt filter. But there is no guideline. Depends on history.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts