Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XT Limited White and Grey
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got my 6th Subaru last week based on finding a good one that had recent maintenance. Has 120,000 and all of this was replaced under an extended warranty in the last year.

New rear bearings.
New rear lateral links.
New rear struts.
New rear bushings.
New front struts.
New front control arms.
New Stabilizer bushings.
New Radiator after head gaskets went.
New head gaskets.
New PS pump.
New Oil pump.
Timing, water pump, idlers, etc about 20k ago.
Complete engine re-seal.

All dealer and OEM parts!

But when I did my usual oil change (as you all should do on any used car when you get it), I discovered a pretty good oil leak. I cleaned everything up as best I could but for the life of me I can't find it. It almost appears behind the oil pan near the bellhousing as I can see a kind of foam gasket up there and it is wet. But it really is dripping from the motor mounts.

Question 1 - do I have liquid motor mounts in this? Every other Subaru I have owned has been solid/Group N mounts. I do recall that they are round mounts.

Question 2 - What resides directly above the motor mount area that I should be looking for? Is there an oil return line or pump line that I can't see? If so, can I get to it if I raise the engine?

Any other thoughts as to where it could come from? The heads are clean and so are the valve covers.

Thanks.
Jon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The passenger rack boot is covered as well.

It is oil - clean, clean oil.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,118 Posts
It could be your oil return from the turbo. Rubber hose with 2 clamps between the turbo and the block, you would have to remove (or look around) the down pipe. It could also be rear main seal, or oil separator plate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

If it were the turbo return line would it leak while stationary? I assume by gravity alone, yes.

Looks like I need to order the up pipe then as it will have to come out. The mod will give me some room - 2 birds then.

Rear main, man I hope not. Flywheel is clean through viewing port. But is the plate the separator between the bellhousing and block?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you.

If it were the turbo return line would it leak while stationary? I assume by gravity alone, yes.

Looks like I need to order the up pipe then as it will have to come out. The mod will give me some room - 2 birds then.

Rear main, man I hope not. Flywheel is clean through viewing port. But is the plate the separator between the bellhousing and block?
Yes. Between the block and the fly wheel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
16,118 Posts
Thank you.

It would leak while running and under oil pressure, however, since it is on the top, residue would continue to drain off and pool.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did the brakes the last couple of days and decided while it was in the air to take some pics and see if I could locate the leak. I am not sure if these help at all, but here is what I could see.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaning everything up made it a little easier to see but I still cannot tell where this dang leak is coming from?!

I know that this is always hard to diagnose on the internet, but if anyone with good eyes can see what it is I would be very grateful.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
16,118 Posts
Did you ever check the turbo oil return line? If you can see around the downpipe, you could pull the TMIC and you might be able to see the return hose from the top.

Again, it could also be a rear main seal or separator plate which will require engine removal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scrounging for time. I can pull the intercooler - no biggie.

Haven't ordered the UpPipe yet so that view can't be done yet.

I bet it will be the rear main just because it is the worst option, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Norskie,

I will look into this as well.

I ordered the UpPipe for the Outback and will start that soon. I also just realized that the Bugeye has a no-name UpPipe and I ordered a GS for this one. Might just swap them out, lol.

But I will look up the dye now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts