Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it is guys, the ultro-comparo between the two top Outback models for 2005. I'll make my part in this post short and reserve this thread for disussion and questions. After having driven both (driven to say the least! ;)) I'd say I'm fairly well versed in both. I can say on my part I like them both equally although the XT would be my choice just due to its lower pricing. But to start off...

The main difference between the cars is performance of course. The XT is an all out hot-rod wagon whereas the 3.0R is more of a luxo-cruiser. Thats not to say that the 3.0R doesn't get up and go, but there are very few cars I've driven that can hold a candle to the XT for it's size.

So lets open up the discussion all! :D

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,618 Posts
Kevin how would you say the power curves compare? I am thinking the XT would be much faster off the line from standstill, but that wouldn't really be a fair comparison unless you drove an auto XT as well. Does the XT really take off well? I'm still disappointed in the intial acceleration of the 3.0R, but love the way it goes once it has a few thousand revs up :D

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jondalar said:
Kevin how would you say the power curves compare? I am thinking the XT would be much faster off the line from standstill, but that wouldn't really be a fair comparison unless you drove an auto XT as well. Does the XT really take off well? I'm still disappointed in the intial acceleration of the 3.0R, but love the way it goes once it has a few thousand revs up :D
The XT takes off slightly better than the standard 2.5i, as the engine is set up for performance, and then rockets off when it hits boost at 2700 RPM. Its kind of an odd comparo now that you mention it; the XT trumps all in performance all around, the 2.5i has better low end than the 3.0R, and the 3.0R has better mid-range and high end over the 2.5i.

The 3.0R does gets up and goes very well in the midrange, worser than the XT but it is by no means a slouch. Its just that 3.0R is the king of smoothness and refinement, I'm talking like Lexus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts