Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 3.0R OBW, 09 WRX, 14 OBW 3.6R
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2006 3.0R has the six CD changer with integrated HVAC controls. My understanding was that the only way to get aux was the Jazzyengineering Kit, and there wasn't any good way to get Bluetooth support.

But I stopped by a local audio shop and was informed they could provide aux or aux and Bluetooth. Price was $300 installed. I asked "Are you sure?" And he said it was on the list. Didn't ask about what they would use.

Has anyone else done this? I understand the Jazzy kit is still available but not up for the install. I love this car (it has 192,000 miles on it) and this would be a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
939 Posts
Didn't ask about what they would use.
please ask them what they would use and post it here

A couple of options from iSimple Aux In and Tranzit Blu

read this thread, its full of info, including
One word of caution- using a bluetooth-connected device for navigation prompts only (no background music) can be problematic. Many devices put the bluetooth connection to sleep (aka teardown) when there is no audio. So a new connection must be initiated (aka setup) the next time the navigator speaks. Thankfully this will happen automatically. However, there is usually some lag involved in setup & teardown, and at least with some devices this leads to a situation where the setup hasn't had time to finish before the navigation app starts speaking. For short messages or status indication beeps, you might miss the whole thing.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,422 Posts
You can also install the JDM bracket kit with standalone HVAC controller. This is not cheap or easy to do, but it allows you to install any modern aftermarket stereo in your car. Details in my signature.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R H6 VDC
278 Posts
If you are up for installing aftermarket radio, with aux in, you should look into Crutchfield. Put in your vehicle info, and it will show you everything that is required for install. I believe the Jazzy Engineering mod requires soldering.

·
Registered
06 3.0R OBW, 09 WRX, 14 OBW 3.6R
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am currently rocking the stupid simple mod: an external Bluetooth speaker. Does the job.

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
90 Posts
please ask them what they would use and post it here

A couple of options from iSimple Aux In and Tranzit Blu

read this thread, its full of info, including
I got the iSimple Aux In and it worked out great, but you will need antenna adapters to use either iSimple options. I got lucky as the original owner had a SAT radio adaptor already installed, so I just pulled that out and plugged in the Aux adaptor. You also need to tap into some power from the fuse box.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I got the iSimple Aux In and it worked out great
I decided not to go bluetooth, was considering Aux in, and while searching found this Crutchfield endorsed (at twice the price) lighting adapter input that fits my iPhone:

"You can listen to your Apple device through your car stereo simply by connecting the TranzIt LINK's Lightning connector cable to your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The cable connects to the main modulator box which you've placed out of sight. You can enjoy your favorite music on the go and keep your newer Apple device charged as you drive. You'll be able to enjoy your favorite music apps and turn-by-turn navigation directions from the Apple device through your car's speakers, too."

Since I always use a Proclip dock with lightning cable, this might end up being the best option for me

iSimple IS7705 Tranzit LINK iPhone lightning power and audio FM adapter

Antenna adapters

·
Registered
939 Posts
Today with the help of a friend with a screwdriver, we installed Tranzit Link and I am very happy to report IT WORKS!

We followed these instructions to get the stereo pulled out of the way

Now when I dock my iPhone to my Proclip, it automatically plugs in the lightning connector that both charges my iPhone and outputs music and navigation to my stereo.

It works perfectly, both music and navigation cooperate, and all the steering wheel controls also work. Since I NEVER listen to radio nor CD, I just keep Tranzit link tuned to the station it uses.

There is no FM audio interference. I am very impressed and highly recommend the system for cars with integrated digital climate control stereos. It does not provide USB connectivity, nor bluetooth, nor Aux input, none of which are needed to accomplish my 2 goals, charging and sound output..

Im very excited about this, took me a long time to understand my choices. Highly Recommended.

special thanks to @Tin Nguyen for sharing his success, that encouraged me to abandon my prejudice against FM adapters.

the guts

the goal

and the Glory!

no more usb plug and wire in my ashtray

the only thing the Tranzit kit lacks is a blue splice connector for the power wire, and a ring connector for a ground wire. Tools were, flathead, phillips, pliers and wire crimper..

oh, the antenna wire adapters were a perfect match for the Tranzit system to work in my Subaru, be sure to get those.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT and 05 Outback 3.0R
188 Posts
Today with the help of a friend with a screwdriver, we installed Tranzit Link and I am very happy to report IT WORKS!

We followed these instructions to get the stereo pulled out of the way

Now when I dock my iPhone to my Proclip, it automatically plugs in the lightning connector that both charges my iPhone and outputs music and navigation to my stereo.

It works perfectly, both music and navigation cooperate, and all the steering wheel controls also work. Since I NEVER listen to radio nor CD, I just keep Tranzit link tuned to the station it uses.

There is no FM audio interference. I am very impressed and highly recommend the system for cars with integrated digital climate control stereos. It does not provide USB connectivity, nor bluetooth, nor Aux input, none of which are needed to accomplish my 2 goals, charging and sound output..

Im very excited about this, took me a long time to understand my choices. Highly Recommended.

special thanks to @Tin Nguyen for sharing his success, that encouraged me to abandon my prejudice against FM adapters.

the guts

the goal

and the Glory!

no more usb plug and wire in my ashtray

the only thing the Tranzit kit lacks is a blue splice connector for the power wire, and a ring connector for a ground wire. Tools were, flathead, phillips, pliers and wire crimper..

oh, the antenna wire adapters were a perfect match for the Tranzit system to work in my Subaru, be sure to get those.

Congrats!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Congrats!!!
Thanks!
How is your Tranzit Blu working out for your needs? Would you do it again?

For me, because I use my phone for navigation and I dont always play music,
Tranzit Link works better than Tranzit Blu.

Tranzit Link charges the phone and does not drop the audio connection between Navigation commands. I would definitely do it again.

I have a Tranzit Blu in another car. I would Not do it again.
With Tranzit Blu, I keep missing navigation commands because the bluetooth connection sleeps during silence. (Im forced to play music full time to maintain the bluetooth connection).

I got the iSimple Aux In and it worked out great
Glad you're happy! Would you do Aux In again?:) Or would you pick Link or Blu instead?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just get one of those 20 buck fm transmitters from target or wherever. plug it in the center console compartment because I never use it and thats where it lives. Works great.

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
90 Posts
Thanks!
How is your Tranzit Blu working out for your needs? Would you do it again?

For me, because I use my phone for navigation and I dont always play music,
Tranzit Link works better than Tranzit Blu.

Tranzit Link charges the phone and does not drop the audio connection between Navigation commands. I would definitely do it again.

I have a Tranzit Blu in another car. I would Not do it again.
With Tranzit Blu, I keep missing navigation commands because the bluetooth connection sleeps during silence. (Im forced to play music full time to maintain the bluetooth connection).

Glad you're happy! Would you do Aux In again?:) Or would you pick Link or Blu instead?
I haven't tried the link or the blu, but I am happy with the AUX only option. It sounds great and I already have a phone charger cable in the same location, right at the driver side lower window. I've got a phone holder there at it worked out great for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts