Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post in this forum. I've been in the market for my first Subaru for a few months now playing around with options. I first looked at the 2010-2013 Outback models but have been leaning more towards an older model to save years of payments. Although I am cautious as I've had bad luck in the past with used cars.

Now to the point of this thread, I'm looking at a 2006 Outback 2.5 XT Limited tomorrow and was hoping I could get some input on what to look for and pricing. Here are the details.

-76,000k miles (any big upcoming issues to worry about)
-First owner with all maintenance done @ dealer
-Does NOT have 75k maintenance, any idea on cost?
-Has had no mechanical or electrical issues, small accident, dealer replaced bumper and grill in 2007
-Average wear
-Windows NOT tinted, wasn't this standard on the limited?

When looking at this car what should I be looking for/asking about?

Also the price is above KBB, but I've noticed this is normal for Outbacks in Portland, OR. However I thought KBB was usually over-valued, any input on this?

Thank you for any input, I'm very excited to own my first outback!

Giuseppe

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I don't think window tint was standard until 08 or 09. Definitely not on the 06.

KBB is just a reference. Sometimes it's wrong. The used car market has been high overall in the past couple of years and I don't see it improving. I don't know the OR market at all.

There have been a few other XT hunters posting lately- look for their threads and you'll find lots of tips on what to look for and what to avoid.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Look at the oil change interval over the life of the car. Should be obvious if they stuck to the 3750 recommendation. Bonus for using synthetic.

Big issues - Struts on all 4 corners will likely need replacing
Tires are usually shot
Brakes on all 4 corners are probably ready
Plugs at 60k?
Torn CV boots? Especially passenger inner

All normal maintenance, but gives you reason to ask for lower pricing. OCI is the key to the health of the Turbo.

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rasterman...thanks for the tips and info on tinting. I have checked out a few other threads and they have been helpful.

tdelker...thanks for these tips, very helpful when looking at these cars. Would these same things apply to a 2008?

I looked at the car and the exterior/interior isn't as good as I'd like so I think I'm going to be passing on this one.

Looking at a 2008 2.5xt 5spd today with 70k, again a bit more than I'd like. The guy said he's had synthetic oil changes every 3k miles. Any suggestions on what to look for on this year...same things?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd like to reiterate what rasterman said previously - there are plenty of threads on this issue. Go to the "GenIII 2005 -2009" section (the only years they made the OBXT) and you'll probably find all the info you want on this vehicle.

I'll try to provide some insight you may not find in these threads. First of all, starting in '07, they put an Aux jack in the center console (for your phone or mp3 player.) If you listen to your own music, this is a godsend. Second of all, the main issue in the '05 - '06 that they fixed for '07 -'09, was the catted up pipe. (One of the main causes for blowing your turbo and/or engine.)

Otherwise, be VERY careful about looking over the car. There are good deals to be had, but you usually never know who owned the car before you. I'm guessing a 5spd turbo'd car was hot rodded before someone sold it. Look for any signs of wear or misuse. Go with your gut instict. Also, be sure you're familiar with Subaru's recommended preventative maintenance BEFORE you buy. You can also find that stuff on these forums.

That being said, the XT is a **** of a car. The modding opportunities with this platform are endless. WARNING: it's addicting. :) Good luck, gmez!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well an update, I've decided I want an '08 manual. I'm looking at two now, test drove one and wow what a beautiful car. However this one has 70k and little to no records, with the turbo issues I have read about in other forums, that's a deal killer. I am now looking at another one a few states away with under 50k miles on it. This one has ALL records from dealer and is a one-owner car.

My biggest two concerns are...I think he's asking too much, what is reasonable for this car in good-very good condition with a SPT intake and COB? It needs a brake job but thats all, also I would be buying a plane ticket and driving over 1,000 miles so it's got to be a good deal.

Secondly, it's in an area where they use not salt but some other ice fighting chemical that can be harmful to cars. What is an acceptable amount of rust, and on which parts, on the underbody of the car?

Thanks again for all of the input

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Outback XT w/~102K miles.

Getting the banjo-bolt replaced tomorrow, so I guess we'll see how I did.

Previous owner didn't use synthetic, and either some changes weren't documented or some intervals were closer to 6k miles.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How big a deal is the catalytic converter in the up-pipe?

I was talking to a mechanic at a small local shop today and he didn't think it was a common failure. They also estimated about $450 to replace it with a catless tube and said it would require some tweaking of sensors to prevent the check-engine light / codes.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don't know about other 3rd gen, but my 2005 XT (base) burned a lot of ignition coils. It also went through a lot of headlamp bulbs.

My 05 didn't have tinted windows either (FYI)...

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Jay H
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing