Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2006 outback 2.5I that recently started reading code P0026 then would shut off and came back on. The code references the VVT Oil pressure switch and solenoid. It was taken to the dealership who confirmed this so I had them order the parts. I don't have them yet but wanted to get some input as to how difficult the solenoid is to swap out. The switch looks easy enough, I just did not see any retaining bolt or clip for the solenoid so I didn't know if it just twisted and pulled out or what. This will be the first time I have worked on a subaru other than oil changes. Any input would be appreciated.
Also I am new to the forum so i apologize for any lack of forum edicut...and spelling.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
There should be a retaining bolt for the solenoid. (This will be more apparent when you get the new one.)

The oil pressure switch is easy enough to remove, but be careful when installing the new one. It screws into the block, and the threads are slightly tapered. If the switch is tightened down too much, the raised cast part of the aluminum block that it screws into can crack. See: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/45237-just-messed-up-big-crap.html (This thread also has diagrams that you might find useful.)

Is it necessary to change both the solenoid and the oil pressure switch? Are they both defective? Although the troubleshooting instructions in the service manual for P0026 point to the solenoid, it could also be caused by a defective switch (when the solenoid is fine). Is there any oil around the oil pressure switch?

See my thread about the oil pressure switch at http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...e-switch-resistance.html?highlight=resistance

Try "search" for other threads and posts about the oil pressure switch and codes P0026 and P0028.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no oil leaking from any of the switches or solenoids. The dealership was going to replace the switches and solenoids at the same time, so I just figured it would be a good idea since I've read that either could go bad. I'm really glad you said something about over tightening the switch...I would have cracked it for sure.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
If you have a digital multi-meter, measure the resistance of the switch, as mentioned in the linked thread. This might provide a clue to which of the two parts is more likely to be causing the P0026. (And let us know the resistance measurement result.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully I can get to that this weekend. Last night we picked up the car from the dealership to hold on to it while we wait for the parts, but on the way home it started sputtering and would stall and die when it was at low RPM's so we had to leave it in town. Have you heard of this being a problem associated with the VVT system?

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
There were some cases of poor engine operation after a recall that involved reprogramming the engine control unit in some 2005+ engines. There's a few related threads here. One is: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...h-recall-any-negative-effects.html#post357220, although the numbers of negative reports compared to the number of cars recalled suggests these were not inherent in the reprogramming.

Which raises the question: Was your car in recently for the WVU-31 reflash?

Other than that, I don't recall any reports of engine stalling with either of the two related codes, P0026 and P0028, although there are more discussions about the codes. Do a "search" of the forums here using those codes as keywords.

By the way, VVL is "Variable Valve Lift". VVT is "Variable Valve Timing", which is a totally different system. VVT was not on the 2.5, normally-aspirated engines in 2005 as far as I know.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT 87Kmi
40 Posts
Hello, I have a 2006 outback 2.5I that recently started reading code P0026 then would shut off and came back on. The code references the VVT Oil pressure switch and solenoid. It was taken to the dealership who confirmed this so I had them order the parts. I don't have them yet but wanted to get some input as to how difficult the solenoid is to swap out. The switch looks easy enough, I just did not see any retaining bolt or clip for the solenoid so I didn't know if it just twisted and pulled out or what. This will be the first time I have worked on a subaru other than oil changes. Any input would be appreciated.
Also I am new to the forum so i apologize for any lack of forum edicut...and spelling.
How to troubleshoot if the oil pressure switch next to the variable valve lift solenoid is causing the P0026 Code.
P0026 REFERS TO THE PASSENGER SIDE PRESSURE SWITCH OR VVL SOLENOID.
P0028 REFERS TO THE DRIVER SIDE PRESSURE SWITCH OR VVL SOLENOID.
I had a problem with the passenger side and here is my instructional on how I was able to fix my problem code in my 2010 2.5i manual Outback. I hope this helps any of you out with either of these codes.
(Test resistance with the car turned off and keys out between terminal and base of switch).
Once you test the switch, which is a normally closed switch, for resistance you should be able to tell if it went bad or not. I tested the driver side resistance versus the passenger side resistance. The passenger side resistance was double versus the driver side when testing it on the engine before removal. A new pressure switch resistance was 1.7 ohms. The old bad pressure switch resistance when removed was 24.4 ohms (the high resistance means that the NORMALLY OPEN switch was stuck in an OPEN position. Also, the resistance will vary on a bad pressure switch).
Once I replaced the switch, I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes to clear the codes and reset the computer.

AS A SIDE NOTE - IF the code came back, it would mean that this pressure switch was not the only culprit, I would then purchase the Variable Valve Lift Solenoid and replace it as well. The solenoid can throw this code if it goes bad or gets clogged.
CHECK YOUR ENGINE OIL, a low oil condition can cause this code to appear as well. search for and watch a youtube video ------->>> 2010 Subaru 2.5 Variable Valve Lift Solenoid and Switch Testing

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does the code Intake P0076 Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Low (Bank 1) relate to this? Does it at all? I am not able to find any information on it.

Should I be looking in solenoid replacement or just the sensor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
P0076 relates to the variable valve timing system found on the turbo and six cylinder engines. Not the same as what is specifically discussed in this thread. (The P0026 and P0028 are for the variable valve lift system.)

P0076 indicates an open circuit between the ECU and the solenoid. It could be the solenoid, a connection, or a problem in the related wiring harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts