Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 Outback 2.5i 4AT
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 2.5i with under 40k miles. As cold weather has set in this year I’m hearing and feeling a pretty good clunk when trans is very cold. Seems to happen starting out, driving easy, when it downshifts to second from third open slowing down. Makes the noise first few times until it warms up. Fluid (Subaru hp) is new last few months and is at correct level. I don’t remember this bang happening last winter with old fluid.

Any ideas? I wanted to sell the car but with this now I can’t drop this potential issue on someone, also don’t want to drop much more money in it.

Edit: did some searching and reading and it seems like this is “common”. I do drive this car softly, more softly than the trans seems to like, anyway. The bang I’m hearing definitely happens when I’m stating from a stop and sorta feathering the throttle and when it’s cold. Wondering about the shift computer reset procedure now. I bought this car 6k ago from an old lady who drove it to church on sundays...really.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
2006 2.5i with under 40k miles. As cold weather has set in this year I’m hearing and feeling a pretty good clunk when trans is very cold. Seems to happen starting out, driving easy, when it downshifts to second from third open slowing down. Makes the noise first few times until it warms up. Fluid (Subaru hp) is new last few months and is at correct level. I don’t remember this bang happening last winter with old fluid.

Any ideas? I wanted to sell the car but with this now I can’t drop this potential issue on someone, also don’t want to drop much more money in it.

Edit: did some searching and reading and it seems like this is “common”. I do drive this car softly, more softly than the trans seems to like, anyway. The bang I’m hearing definitely happens when I’m stating from a stop and sorta feathering the throttle and when it’s cold. Wondering about the shift computer reset procedure now. I bought this car 6k ago from an old lady who drove it to church on sundays...really.
Are you running Subaru HP ATF? I know it sounds oversimplified but it does make a difference - at least it made a big difference for me!

Sorry, I see your comment about the ATF.
Hang on for a bit, lots of folks on here who might be of assistance.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,141 Posts
If the fluid is fresh ...

There are normal "hard shifts" until the car warms. The trans can take 20 min to get to full operating temps. It's possible to soften those hard shifts through tuning. A reset may help. You can reset your ECU or TCU using RomRaider.

I would also check the transmission mount, they have been known to completely separate. In which case, the trans would be clunking around.

·
Registered
05 Outback 2.5i 4AT
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the fluid is fresh ...

There are normal "hard shifts" until the car warms. The trans can take 20 min to get to full operating temps. It's possible to soften those hard shifts through tuning. A reset may help. You can reset your ECU or TCU using RomRaider.

I would also check the transmission mount, they have been known to completely separate. In which case, the trans would be clunking around.
Thanks. Researching more it does appear this is somewhat normal. I won’t be doing any resets or such on my own. Outta my league. I will give the Subie dealer a call and speak with the advisor and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
423 Posts
My gear shifts were worse with the engine hot pr cold. Had the local Subaru dealer do a transmission relearn which made a world of difference.

·
Registered
05 Outback 2.5i 4AT
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After of winter feeling the clunk (always 3-4, always when very cold) I’m still wondering how serious of a problem it is. I’d really like to sell the car but this is keeping me from doing so. If it’s “normal” I’d disclose it and say so. If it’s not normal I wouldn’t like selling (to a dealer) and not disclosing. Kinda stuck.

Great car and the bump doesn’t bother me but I’m assuming it’d bother any potential buyer (that’s not an educated Subie person).

Anyone out there with more info on this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts