Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a forum lurker for way too long, but I was encouraged by patrikman (El Duderino) on Instagram to start a thread for my EZ30 swap in my 2006 Baja.

Posts and responses will probably be few and far between, as this is not a priority, nor am I in a huge rush, and funds for doing this are always in the back of my mind.

End plans include:
- Replacing head gaskets, which will be in the form of an OEM master gasket kit (engine is 10+ years old with 45k miles, so just call it insurance because of how long it's sat)
- STI R180 3.54/3.90 diff, with Suberdave's races (My stock front axles slip right in the 6MT :smile2:)
- Front hub swap to accomodate bolt in style wheel bearings, as well as satisfy wheel speed sensor inputs for CAN Bus
- Either Brembo or ATS caliper swap (have both sitting around, but the Brembos may go on the wife's 16 FXT)
- Fourth gen legacy ABS system from firewall forward, to accommodate CAN Bus requirements. (Will source from UK)
- Fourth gen air bag module for CAN Bus, with resistors for curtain and side air bags
- Merge HVAC harness to keep Baja manual controls, since the fifth gen Legacy dash varies so much from the Baja
- BRZ power steering column, mostly to tidy up the engine bay a bit

The turbo build knocked on startup, but managed 25k on the 71HTA, for a total of 138k on the drivetrain with no services ever done. The only thing I found on teardown was a gaulded piston. The bearings, rods, crank, valves, cams, and other three pistons had virtually no sign of wear. Oil was always changed religiously at 3-3.5k with Castrol Edge 5W30 year round.

I sourced a 3.0R spec B 'blackout' bluster from the UK, and need to have my USDM keyset sent in to have it paired with my JDM BIU. I spoke with my local Subaru dealership, and they assured me that all three can be sent in to Subaru and be paired. Fingers crossed!

People are going to ask why electric steering, being so mundane and unresponsive?
- Well, I will tell you why. It's a Baja, not a sports car. I can tolerate in in the wife's 16 FXT, and the BRZ system is said to be a bit sharper, so it should suit my needs just fine. The only problem is knowing whether the column and controls are a Subaru or Toyota design, as Toyotas have a failsafe that can run without the CAN Bus, but I have no clue on the theory and operation of the system, or who's system it really is.

The biggest question is WHY NO CAN BUS EMULATOR?

- Once again, I've practically got all the time in the world, so why bother going the easiest route possible? I would prefer OEM plug and play, just to say I did it.

- I will use a CAN Bus emulator if the cluster, BIU, and keys cannot be programmed together, or Subaru decides that they won't do it. If anybody has any feedback on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

- There's plenty of people out there that know way more about it than I do, and probably think I'm extremely stupid for this, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY expected and want this to be a learning curve. It's a way to know the inner workings of the systems, and maybe pave the way for others to do this with OEM plug and play ability.

Once again, any insight to such a cluster f*&% is greatly appreciated, and please try not to bash the crap out of me for this endeavor.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Yo!

Pics aren't working for me, maybe it's just me? I used to use the Autoguide app for this forum. It hosts your pics from a cell phone, like tapatalk but the last couple times I tried to use it it didn't work.
@eagleeye check it out!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Man, talk about tilting at a windmill...

that's gonna be an awesome car when you hit those last marks. Heck, Bajas are special to start with, and your progress already sounds amazing!

Hats off & good luck!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fully forged with a 71HTA, right before startup and a knock, circa May 2016

Sorting out the wiring mayhem while bored on night shift.

Crank and rods after 25k miles, still baffled with the gaulded piston though.

Unwrapping of the 3.0R spec B engine and trans

UK 'blackout' 3.0R spec B gauge cluster. Part number references as JDM though, and not EU.

Just a few shots over the course of the two years I've had it, including getting the 3.0R swap.

Thanks for the interest this far, and I hope you guys can be patient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,266 Posts
I've been a forum lurker for way too long, but I was encouraged by patrikman (El Duderino) on Instagram to start a thread for my EZ30 swap in my 2006 Baja.

thanks for joining up and typing about this project,...people off and on type about putting a manual to a Ez30 212hp, or 245hp. and this one came with that already.

and thanks for @patrikman for getting you to join. ( this is the board that has the most subaru six people on it in the known universe).

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
ej22t closd deck swap and 30psi would be worthy. that is all
-cost is under 1g buy a wrekced 91-94 and swap then manual boost control and intercooler.
done you have under 5 second car easy

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Starting a thread on this has got me a little more motivated, so when I got off work this morning, I figured I'd pull the dash.

SO much easier than my days as a Ford tech.

This is the first Subaru dash removal for me.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
ej22t closd deck swap and 30psi would be worthy. that is all
-cost is under 1g buy a wrekced 91-94 and swap then manual boost control and intercooler.
done you have under 5 second car easy
But it's been done before.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the little updates, but it's just an hour of work here and there until my seven days off roll around in a couple of days.

Waiting on another Legacy harness to come in, so I can get connectors that were cut from the one that came with my engine and trans. I got practically the entire interior harness for $66 shipped! I may merge parts of the harness if it's the same, or just move my engine harness over to the complete dash harness I ordered, as I'm sure the only thing that is different is that my harness has H6 stuff wrapped in. I'd like to think it might be as easy as taking the 2.5i stuff out, and replacing it with the H6 stuff.

I'll try and post many pics of that process, and intricate pinout details as well.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luckily enough, the fourth gen cluster looks thin enough and small enough that it can fit inside of a gutted third gen cluster. I am selling the Baja cluster, and have bought a cheaper outback one to sacrifice as a housing. I'll probably order an ABS plastic sheet to fill the gap. Hopefully that goes well.

These are two VERY different clusters, and I'm not going to sacrifice my dash for the opposite concave.

Hauling what harness I do have to work every night in my nasty ass STI, and sorting out the odds and ends. Labeling what connectors are there, and figuring out which ones I'll need.

I probably won't splice in missing connectors. I'll just merge the ECM stuff with the harness I got on eBay, which should be here in a few days.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To my surprise, the 2.5i interior harness arrived much sooner than expected. I'm tired as all get out since I just got off of night shift this morning, so I'll string it all out later.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Outback donor cluster arrived yesterday, so I go to trimming on it to get the fourth gen nestled inside.

Now just to trim the black bezel for the bottom of the fourth gen, drill a hole in the lens for my trip meter stalk, and fill the void between the two.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been kind of busy, but my STI pedal set came in. Unfortunately, the pedals are a couple of inches longer than the Baja pedals.
I still needed the clutch/cruise switches, and swapped the pedal pads anyways. It's still worth the $50 I managed to pick it up for.

Also got my shifter bushings in.

Prothane 16-1603 - Fits just about every STI known to man.

·
Super Moderator
25,266 Posts
nice looking kiddie electric there.

probably give many a parent here a idea to consume a weekend painting one WR blue.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I'm in charge of a two year old on days off, I haven't got too crazy with the wiring, but have begun pulling everything that was cut in the JDM harness, and going to use the fourth gen body harness from the complete USDM harness I got on eBay for stuff like air bags and BIU CANBUS requirements, and then use whatever switch wiring I'll need from the original Baja harness. Things like HVAC, fog lamp switches, etc.

Still on the fence about whatever I'll need for the combination switch, until I get a BRZ electric column and verify that it fits and works standalone with just power and ground.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got all my 2.5 donor harness laid out to get an idea of where to start. I haven't even touched the interior harnesses in the Baja yet

From top to bottom, the Baja dash harness, donor Leggy harness, and JDM 3.0R harness.

In regards to what wires are staying or getting removed.

Baja - Only keeping wires for HVAC, fog light switch, cargo light switch, and cruise switch (Although not needed, just not going to cut it out if I don't have to. I can always run the wires as a ECU flash switch or something.)

Donor Leggy Harness - This will be the main harness, as everything is getting converted to fourth gen inside the Baja, since I need many CANBUS modules to make this fairly transparent in the end.

The only items remaining will be audio, power/ground distribution, and odds and ends like hazard and door connectors. I might use the JDM door connectors for power folding mirrors later on.

JDM - I'll be using all wiring necessary to satisfy all BIU requirements, but there is only one BIU connector in this harness. This includes RKE, CANBUS wires, instrument cluster wires, and I believe some door switch wires.

As previously stated, the end result will be to move all the JDM BIU and misc., and all the Baja stuff into the donor harness, and terminate pins in all connectors to other harness from here, which should keep the guesswork and headaches at bay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts