Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback Sport SE 2.5 Black
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2006 Impreza OB Sport SE that only had one key. Bought 2 new transponder ones online for real cheap, went to Walmart and got them cut (after a hassle with the employees) and they checked my original key and I found out it wasn't a transponder key. Everywhere I look online it says that my model and year should have a transponder key but I don't understand why it starts without it. My car starts, runs and continues to run when I use the new transponder keys. Doesn't the car have that system and only an alarm? Have I been misled about the transponder? There is a light on the instruments that flashes the word 'security'. I wonder if that is an alarm instead.
Would like some answers if anyone can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
'07 outback basic
10 Posts
If you had the original key on the key ring with the new ones, the chip in your original might have de-activated the security system. I can start my 07 with a service key (no chip) if I have the chipped key close to the steering column. Also possible you just got really lucky -- might want to buy a lottery ticket.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
The antenna for the transponder is very discrete. It won't pick up other keys hanging from a keyring, otherwise it would play **** on folks with two or more transponder keys on a ring (which is a lot of people these days as they've been around since 1996 here in the states.

Maybe ask a locksmith or (gasp) the dealer next time rather than trust what the internet tells you ;-)

Out of curiosity, what was the plan (had it been necessary) to get those 'transponder keys you bought online real cheap' programmed after having the experts at Walmart cut them?

EDIT: Pretty sure only the Impreza WRX and STI models had transponder keys in 2006. Outback and Forester XT maybe as well. . .not at work so can't check but that's what cars101 says.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2006.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts