Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC 5eat , 2'' lift
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was searching for this found some posts some info but nothing more clear about it. but as much as i found is
you can just put outback struts with springs in same gen legacy and it will become same outback height ? or even more ? nothing else needed ?
you can put 2'' spacers on struts same as on outback and get about same outback height yes ?
but if you put outback struts those Cv axles will be on more angle then outback ones because it has subframe spacers is it ?
most important question : can you put outback struts in legacy and then on top spacers as well ? will that be too extreme for 3rd gen legacy suspension ?
if so then solution : put outback subframe spacers on legacy as well . ? but that for rear , whats going on in front there ? outback has some extra spacer there too for control arm is it ?

so in front its not that simple to make it same as outback is it ?
people saying many who did lifted legacy with outback struts , why i cant then find any pics of 3rd gen legacy lifted out there ? anyone have those pics ? would be nice to

reason i need this info as i will buy new outback means old one but newer then that i had , and its not many 3rd gen outbacks 3.0 here , so with legacy added 3.0 wagons its much more choices .

thats lifted 3rd gen outback , very nice looking . so can i make legacy be this high

found this one pic , i think person said its on outback struts , just tires too small i guess

and then what about tires ? legacy will fit same size tires as outback ? lest say without lift some 215/65R16 ? i know they come with 17 wheels but i found that people puting on it 16 too so that should fit is it ? or 3.0 model have larger discs rotors and wont fit 16's ?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,333 Posts
There are two ways to lift a Legacy (or lower an Outback): the "it'll work" way or the proper way.

To answer your questions, yes; Legacy and Outback struts will swap in place of each other. The mounts, diameters, and rough geometry are the same.

However, the Outback's suspension goes way beyond just higher struts. Subframe (and control arm) spacers, longer steering shaft, different transmission crossmember, trailing arm bracket, driveshaft are the main components. If you don't correct the geometry with the proper parts, you end up wearing out other parts extremely quickly AND you make the whole system less stable for things like highway cruising, high-speed maneuvers (object avoidance), etc.

So you have to make a choice: is this going to be an occasional off-road toy that you don't care about long-term reliability? Or is this to make it a lifted daily driver?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
im sorry so they just sell those legacy 2'' lift kits which are just spacers for struts for $500 , so thats fine its all good camber is good , but outback struts somehow makes it worse and it doesnt work ? i dont believe it .
same as you put spacers on outback , you make it higher , camber is on limits and cv axles suffer more .. but its fine daily car , yes less stable on highways and in corners , but i was driving without sway bars at all with 6cm lift now. why not ?
i think on outback longer steering shaft is needed just because subframe spacers, if no subframe spacers no need longer shaft correct ?
and buy used outback parts is no problem if they bolt on legacy. dont see problem there.
If my price to buy legacy and then put oputback parts on it will still be lower then buy same year outback then i see it as win.

now my daily car is 6cm lifted 2001 outback with sway bars removed so its not stiff its not best in corners its not super stable on highway , but its fun to drive in all situations still, i dont see problem there.

they can look good too or even better then outback i think . and lifted looks quite good too

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
707 Posts
You ask for opinions, and then when someone gives one you tell him he is wrong! I have an idea, do what you want and then IF you live through the accident, and don't kill an innocent, get back to us and tell us how it was!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,333 Posts
Yes, they do make spacer kits that will correct for camber angle, but that's one small piece of the puzzle. Your roll center, lift geometry, trailing arm centering and Akerman angles will be all out of whack. Like I said, you can just throw spacers or struts on a Legacy and it will "work", but it depends on how well.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sure if you lift car it wont be anymore some street race car , but it will be just fine, better then most others out there in similar class.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just saying people did that and drove cars perfectly well.. even in this forum. So its going then ones opinions vs others. ? Im just saying what i read and i did read that here. And what means how well it will work? So how well lift works on outbacks? Its not same thing?
Long time ago @Brucey did talked about it so i thought he knows stuff.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
normal legacy height vs normal outback vs lifted legacy vs lifted outback

andf then legacy on outback struts plus 1'' spacers

looks cool dont see any problems with camber or similar there.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can legacy fit same tire sizes as outback if lifted on outback struts ? Whats fits best there?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon 2.5i
24 Posts
I've done this with an '05. With a few iterations.
1. Installed KYB OB struts with +1" Rallitek springs in front +3/8" springs in the back plus 1" spacers.
The ride was stiff but wild. The front was pretty much dead on aligned. But my rear toe was 3/4" out.

If you install yourself GET AN ALIGNMENT IMMEDIATELY.

2. To fix I added adjustable rear lateral links
I used the Godspeed ones from Amazon - other options are Whiteline 124 kit (expensive and has more than you need) or Megan Racing adjustable arms which look identical to the Godspeed units but blue instead of Red.
I also bought the Whiteline KCA399 Rear Control Arm Bushing to adjust rear camber, but it wasn't necessary so I returned them.

A trailing arm spacer would have also worked but adjustable arm came at Amazon Prime speed other options took much longer..
I liked this set up, but the front was too stiff to daily on bumpy roads. - Very stable, little body roll but shook the piss out of me like a Jeep.

3. I put in new stock front springs and a 2" Subie Lift of Oz kit. So front is +2 and rear is +2 3/8"
ADF or other kit would have worked. I went with SLO because their trailing arm spacers is one piece rather than 3, the steel is a little thicker, delivery was faster (even from Melbourne) and was a little cheaper.

My control arm bushings were shot so I replaced the control arms as it was about the same price to press out old and press in new.
I replaced all of the wheel bearings and and tie rod ends and CV shafts at this point.
-Had to put the original CV's back in - Cheap aftermarket crap shook like ****
OEM back in and is all good.

Ride is much more comfortable but I probably could have gotten away without the lift kit.
With the lift kit that includes rear subframe and trailing arm spacers.
After the kit went in I could have reinstalled the OEM arms, which may be a bit more robust if you're offroading a lot.
Alignment was right on spec and it handles well.

Haven't gotten around to tires yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts