Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 3.0 LL Bean Edtion
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first start off by saying I am new to this group, however, this isn't my first post but I never took the time to say hello to the forum so Hello Forum. My name is Dylan and I currently reside in central Vermont. My only Subaru currently is my 06 Outback LL Bean edition and honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't get into a Subaru sooner. They are awesome cars and from what I can tell so far they are quite reliable. With that said heres my question...

I am currently in the process of rebuilding the rear suspension ( rear suspension bushings for now as well as shocks and struts all around. My issue is as most Vermonters know the winter and "mud season" conditions can be quite harsh and you definitely need a good set of rubbers to keep up. When I bought the vehicle it came with Winter I-Pike tires in 225/65/17 which are quite bald and in desperate need of replacing. I have spent quite a bit on tire rack and discount tire and haven't really found an aggressive-looking all-terrain tire. I did some reading around here and have discovered I would need to downgrade to a 16-inch rim to be able to accommodate a larger aggressive tire. Is this true?

I was hoping to go with a decent all-terrain tire but I'm not sure what i would be able to get to fit a 16 inch rim and be able to work with the outback. Any suggestions?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,183 Posts
A 16" inch Subaru wheel will fit fine, long as it has the 5x100 lug spacing. Which most ones older ones do.

Continental makes the TerrainContact A/T in 225/60/17 which should fit your OEM wheels.
Yokohama makes the Geolander A/T G015 which comes in a few sizes that would fit factory 16 or 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the forums and new to subaru as well, i just purchased a 2013 outback limited. I dont know nearly as much as the people around here but, i am in the same situation, my car came with 225/65/17 and i am looking to trade them up for a set of 16" Subaru rims so i can get a taller sidewall. For the type of vehicle it is and where i live it would only make sense for me to have the 16" for the extra cushion as opposed to a larger rim and low profile street tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
730 Posts
Welcome to the site, Blkdroid!

If you stick to O.E. wheels, the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail may be a good option for you to consider as well. This tire utilizes durable carcass construction for on/off-road use and is also carries the 3PMSF designation for us under inclement weather conditions - the aggressive sidewall styling is a nice feature too.

Tires are a product of compromise, though, so ultimately the right model for you will depend on additional performance attributes you need the tires to deliver. If we can help in any way please feel free to shoot us a PM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big thanks to @AWDFTW I ended up going with the Continental makes the TerrainContact A/T in 225/60/17 which after reading some of the reviews had better reviews the Yokohama GO15's. I was going to buy those at first but TireRack didn't have them in stock for a few weeks and I needed tires ASAP. Once i get the suspension parts squared away and the tires onI will post a picture :)

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
36 Posts
Big thanks to @AWDFTW I ended up going with the Continental makes the TerrainContact A/T in 225/60/17 which after reading some of the reviews had better reviews the Yokohama GO15's. I was going to buy those at first but TireRack didn't have them in stock for a few weeks and I needed tires ASAP. Once i get the suspension parts squared away and the tires onI will post a picture :)
I'm running the same tire! Same size too. You won't be disappointed. These things are rad. I would always run 16" steelies and dedicated snows when I lived in upstate New York. Switched to an all terrain and went back to the stock 17s (they're so pretty!) when I moved back down south. No more swapping but honestly, I think the Continentals would be fine in the snow.

I also have the Yokohama's GO15s on my GF's daily Jeep XJ. They're great tires too honestly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Battlewagon2.0 that's a great picture. I have the same car in the same color with the same tires. My photo would look identical to yours. The first day out tonight I was able to road test the car after doing a rear suspension overhaul which I actually finished about a half hour ago. These tires are pretty decent in the snow. so far I am loving them.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
36 Posts
Nice! What all did you do to your rear suspension? Within the past year, I replaced all struts and springs with KYB/RalliTEKs, installed Whiteline adjustable lateral links in the rear and replaced the sway bar end links and bushings. I'm still getting some "boatish" feelings at high speeds when the road is uneven. Last time I checked, my rear subframe is looking a bit rusty (a consequence of upstate NY). I'm thinking I need either new control arm bushings for the rear, or maybe even a rust-free subrame. I'd love to swap in one from a Legacy GT or 3.0R Limited so I can get the aluminum control arms. One day...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced like 95% of the suspension bushings as well as rebuilt the struts and used KYB's. You can find the post from my suspension work here. It was a royal bitch but well worth it.

My experience with the tires so far has been good but we haven't gotten a ton of snow yet to really go off-road and what not but road wise I'm pretty happy with the tires, however, there is some vibration from the tires at higher speeds but I am assuming that's based on the fact that these are AT tires and they have an aggressive tread pattern. It's not terrible but you definetly notice it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,418 Posts
Nice! What all did you do to your rear suspension? Within the past year, I replaced all struts and springs with KYB/RalliTEKs, installed Whiteline adjustable lateral links in the rear and replaced the sway bar end links and bushings. I'm still getting some "boatish" feelings at high speeds when the road is uneven. Last time I checked, my rear subframe is looking a bit rusty (a consequence of upstate NY). I'm thinking I need either new control arm bushings for the rear, or maybe even a rust-free subrame. I'd love to swap in one from a Legacy GT or 3.0R Limited so I can get the aluminum control arms. One day...
you can get a new rear subframe from subaru, I have done that 1x each on my 2002 cars in upstate NY.
@traildogck may have suggestions on your boatishness as he has adjustables, makes custom bushings, and has gone up and down on his gen3 outbacks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts