Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006, 2.5 Ltd, 4-Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the standard price for a genuine OEM front axle replacement?

Was quoted $525. Which seems very high.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,653 Posts
most people are satisfied with rebooting their original axles, buying aftermarket new, or quality rebuilt from MWE.

those options range from $20-$30 up through probably $225 or so, depending on if you're doing it yourself or paying someone else.

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
If you want a genuine brand new Subaru axle yes those are usually $399 on up. Subaru genuine remans are around $180 on up depending on year etc. Installation would of course be additional but isn't really very difficult.

·
Registered
2006, 2.5 Ltd, 4-Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want a genuine brand new Subaru axle yes those are usually $399 on up. Subaru genuine remans are around $180 on up depending on year etc. Installation would of course be additional but isn't really very difficult.
Ok, that makes it seem reasonable then.

I've had my front R axle replaced before with an aftermarket part and it was noisy and grinded like crazy. Had the shop throw an OEM on and it solved the problem.

That's why I would prefer to stay with genuine subaru parts.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,653 Posts
an option might be to get an OEM axle from an online dealer (SubaruGenuineParts.com or fredbeansparts.com, there are others) and have your independent mechanic install it. might save you $100 or ???? I haven't priced it out.

but really, the EMPI axles on my wife's 03 H6 are fine, they cost around $70 from rockauto.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
The mistake happened a long time ago when an aftermarket axle was used, the aftermarket axle industry is a joke and should be always avoided as a rule.

Always reboot your axles, there is almost never a need to replace Subaru OEM axles unless they've been seriously abused. The average daily driver won't need replaced, reboot it. Even vibrating axles are smooth as silk once cleaned, regreased, and rebooted.

MWE is the only supplies of reliable axles - out of Denver, CO - $75 - $95 per axle plus shipping and core return if required.

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
The Subaru genuine re-manufactured work pretty well too if you don't want to spring the cost of brand new genuine. Around $180 iirc plus some places will give you maybe $30 for the core return and pay the shipping for you to send the core back.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
*snip* MWE is the only supplies of reliable axles - out of Denver, CO - $75 - $95 per axle plus shipping and core return if required.
I agree with the rebooting, since it's really not very difficult. However, you will have a hard time convincing most shops to do it for some reason.

I can't speak to vibrating axle being fixed after relube.

MWE quoted quite a bit more this, $175 plus shipping and core IIRC from my calling around this spring. I posted the price somewhere in these boards after I got it. Decided it was a lot cheaper to reboot myself.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,269 Posts
I agree with the rebooting, since it's really not very difficult. However, you will have a hard time convincing most shops to do it for some reason.
Of course it's hard to convince them to make their money doing this very dirty work, vs. just pocketing a 40% mark-up on the part. Not to mention that one needs to know what they're doing, which seems to be an issue rather often.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,269 Posts
Of course it's hard to convince them to make their money doing this very dirty work, vs. just pocketing a 40% mark-up on the part. Not to mention that one needs to know what they're doing, which seems to be an issue rather often.
Rebooting is a longer chore than just replacing the part is another reason a lot of shops, including the dealers, don't reboot it.

You can tell the service manager that you just want it rebooted unless he or his tech can definitely prove damage beyond reasonable use. Subaru service manuals do have instruction for rebooting and therefore it is not an unreasonable request from you the owner. They also can't hold any warranty issue with you as a reboot is outlined in the service manual.

They may try to argue the point, but if you stick to burden of proof, you won't lose.

And its loads cheaper.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,269 Posts
Here is a snapshot of part numbers and labor time for axle boots. These are Subaru part numbers. Add a couple bands for each axle boot along with the grease and you have your total as long as you know what the shop labor rate is.

Also attached is the part numbers and labor for a complete assembly. As you can see, its a huge difference in the sale. More commission to the SM at the dealer.

I don't like it when people get taken. Especially by the dealers. I could write a book.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts