Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Yesterday I noticed a small crack in my radiator, and after getting a quote from the dealer for a subaru OE radiator ($325+ for just the radiator) I'm starting to look at other options.

I've found several useful posts on this forum about radiators, but I'm still wondering if using something like a Koyo or CSF might cause problems on an A/T XT? If the Subaru branded parts are the only good option, I'll grit my teeth and use them, but if there is another option that is as good or better it would be good to know...

If anyone has any experience/advice about using any of the aftermarket brands on an XT with an automatic transmission I'd be grateful if you'd share it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to buy from the dealership! You can get an equal quality radiator online for about $80-100.

When my radiator cracked and spewed coolant all over the highway, I replaced it with a 04 wrx radiator. it required a few mods for it to work properly, but it has twice the core thickness and has an ATF cooler. I wouldn't recommend this unless you feel up to making a mounting bracket for the top mounts and figuring out how to make things work.

Some aftermarket radiators don't come with an ATF cooler. You would have to get an aftermarket atf cooler. The verdict is still out on whether the smaller ones that fit well are sufficient for a standalone atf cooler. The larger ones will be plenty, but you'll have to "make" things fit. Also strongly consider a thermostat for the cooler to prevent overcooling the atf if you go that route.

All in all, an off brand oem radiator with a built in atf cooler will be the best bet if the old radiator suited your needs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
radiatorbarn.com. CSF aftermarket for $100+ shipping. call them to order it rather than via the website. their website doesn't have the XT radiator and will point you in the direction of an outback sport radiator. comes with a lifetime warranty. the cheapest you'll find from napa and whatnot will be around $180-200 and they'll probably still have to special order it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... thought I responded earlier, but somehow it didn't post.

Many thanks for your quick feedback, and for pointing out the potential issue with the ATF. The original radiator was generally fine for my driving, but there have been a few times that knowing a dedicated cooler doing it's job would have been nice. I'll go with one of the aftermarket units for now

Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
KOYO Radiator A2778 as replacement

The radiator of my 06 XT has also developed a small crack at the top, near the cap. Tiniest leak but I will be replacing it. Thinking about KOYO Radiator A2778. Anyone have any experience with this radiator? THX.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Kicking this thread with my own radiator drama.

I've been smelling coolant occasionally and finally found a weakened seam at the top of my 2006 XT radiator. Just the slightest weep, coolant loss still measured in tablespoons per month.

I've found a number of replacements- as cheap as a "vista-pro" $94 delivered from Rock. Not sure how good any of them are.

As much as I'd love to toss an all-metal mishimoto in there, there isn't a direct application and I'd prefer not to figure out how to engineer my own ATF cooler.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I had a small crack in the radiator cap neck on my 05 Baja. I had it replaced by aftermarket radiator from Advanced Auto Parts P/N 431490 - cost $ 150.00 - with lifetime warranty which is better/longer than OEM radiator would have been. It was a direct application and simple installation.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toughone-or-ready-rad-radiator-431490/19920319-P?searchTerm=radiators

Here is one for 2006 Outback XT at $ 210.00

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toughone-or-ready-rad-radiator-434001/99983626-P?searchTerm=radiators

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Hrm. I'm not seeing any variation in the specs between all of these. From a newly found low price of $58.30 to the one Jogosub found for $210, they all list the same dimensions, same 5/8" single row core, same plastic/aluminum construction, same 3-plate trans cooler... not sure how to differentiate between these, or if I even need to do so beyond the price.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
I looked around some more on this too. The specs all seem to be the same. Or the specs are not available. The Denso and the Altrom Imports have no available specs. There were 3 other Napa parts rads...all with the same specs.

NAPA AUTO PARTS - Home

So other than manufacturing quality, there seems to be no difference. Like anything. I sleep a little better with a Napa/SKF ($$$) hub unit than the $38.00 RockA cheapie.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Your OEM radiator lasted 8 years, that is a good run. How many miles are on it?

It is unlikely that aftermarket radiators will last that long. I've never ordered parts from subarugenuineparts.com so can not vouch for them, but they list a subaru radiator for a 2006 XT at $231. Seems fair to me if you want to go that route.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

That said I believe it was a Koyo I put in mine and put them in regularly at work, they have good build quality. Mine has given me no issues after 4 years or so.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Hrm. I'm not seeing any variation in the specs between all of these. From a newly found low price of $58.30 to the one Jogosub found for $210, they all list the same dimensions, same 5/8" single row core, same plastic/aluminum construction, same 3-plate trans cooler... not sure how to differentiate between these, or if I even need to do so beyond the price.
2006XT

Core Height: 13 3/8 in
Core Thickness: 5/8 in
Core Width: 27 in
Fan Included: No
Inlet Size(s): 1 9/16 in
Outlet Size(s): 1 9/16 in
Row Quantity: 1
Transmission Cooler: Yes
Tube Size: 5/8

2005 Baja

Core Height: 27 1/4 in
Core Thickness: 5/8 in
Core Width: 13 3/8 in
Fan Included: No
Inlet Location: Top Center
Inlet Size(s): 1 1/2 in
Outlet Location: Bottom Left
Outlet Size(s): 1 1/2 in
Row Quantity: 1
Transmission Cooler: Yes
Tube Size: 5/8

Again, OEM offers 1 year warranty while Advanced Auto is lifetime warranty.

The Limited Lifetime Warranty applies to the original purchaser with limited coverage to defects in manufacturer materials and workmanship. Normal wear is not considered a defect for the purpose of warranty eligibility on high-wear items. Other exclusions may apply.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Autozone offers a lifetime warranty on their radiators, Subaru has a 1 year warranty, which would you rather have in your car?

Just because a part has a lifetime warranty does not mean the part is worth putting into your car.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Autozone offers a lifetime warranty on their radiators, Subaru has a 1 year warranty, which would you rather have in your car?

Just because a part has a lifetime warranty does not mean the part is worth putting into your car.
Define "worth"..... radiator is probably made by the same company and it's just branded and marketed under a different name, like car batteries: if there is time to replace your battery, are you going to put OEM Subaru brand?

I would rather have one, that works and will last....why would OEM radiator be better or last longer?

PROS (Edmunds.com)

Less expensive: Aftermarket parts are usually less expensive than OEM parts; how much you save varies by brand. Shop around to find the best price and to get an idea of how much that part usually costs. If the price of a part seems too good to be true, ask questions about its quality.
Quality can be equal to or greater than OEM: In some cases, you may end up with a better part than you started with. "The aftermarket companies reverse-engineer the part, and work the weaknesses out," said Torbjornsen. For example, when an automaker designs its brake pads, it has to strike a balance between cost, durability, noise levels and performance. If you want better performance and don't mind some extra brake noise (some brake pads squeak even though they are stopping the car effectively), an aftermarket pad may be your best choice.
More variety: There are hundreds of companies that make aftermarket parts. Some specialize in specific parts, and other companies, like NAPA, make almost any part you can think of. More variety means greater selection and a wider range of prices.
Better availability: You can walk into any gas station, auto parts store or local mechanic, and they're bound to have a part that fits your car. This gives you more options on where to take your car for service.

Source: Edmunds.com

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,198 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
i use to work at a trans shop for 2 years and almost every auto we replaced got an external cooler installed, and the rad cooler bypassed. to much of a risk of the oem leaking internally and turning everything into pepto . i would get an aluminum rad and external cooler and call it a day. they are very easy to install, literally 2 hose and either drill a couple holes or use pull through zip ties and mount it to the new rad

·
Registered
16 Posts
radiatorbarn.com. CSF aftermarket for $100+ shipping. call them to order it rather than via the website. their website doesn't have the XT radiator and will point you in the direction of an outback sport radiator. comes with a lifetime warranty. the cheapest you'll find from napa and whatnot will be around $180-200 and they'll probably still have to special order it for you.

I've dealt with them, I recommend them. They don't use plastic.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
i use to work at a trans shop for 2 years and almost every auto we replaced got an external cooler installed, and the rad cooler bypassed. to much of a risk of the oem leaking internally and turning everything into pepto . i would get an aluminum rad and external cooler and call it a day. they are very easy to install, literally 2 hose and either drill a couple holes or use pull through zip ties and mount it to the new rad
That's what I have read from someone "down-under" as well: i.e. bypass the AT cooler in radiator (plug the holes) and add an external one. I think that is, what I will do, when I will put the external AT cooler in.
I just have to figure out, how to hook it up; i.e. which hose/line is in and which is return on my 05 Baja - or, if it matters at all. I've already purchased Hayden 677 cooler.

Maybe plainOM, lockmedic or someone else can "throw me a bone" on that one....thanks!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I have found a few CSF radiators, but they all have plastic tanks. On the other hand, I like what I'm reading about their reputation.

I still like the idea of an all-metal rig.

I have figured out which mishimoto can be made to fit. (The one for the '08 STI.)

But when I take the ATF cooling into account, I see that the all-metal upgrade project would cost about $650 where a simple replacement is going to run me about $150.

I doubt I'll ever mod my engine far enough to require the extra cooling of the mishi, so I think I'll have a go at this CSF #3515 with 2-year warranty, $87 delivered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
gtonstilts
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing