Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
LED's and circuits felt sound with No play,

re-soldered with rosin core solder anyways. Airbag light went off! New passenger airbag status light of hope in overhead has come on for first time ever since purchasing used car.

Easy fix that saved me tons of money and gives me functioning airbags!
thanx deccher

·
Registered
24 Posts
Easy Fix!

First post even though I have registered in 2012 or so :smile2: Love the site and all the info that can be found here. Amazing - thank you all.

Thanks for the info on how to fix it. Everything looked ok on the board and even tested correctly. I re-soldered connections and the annoying airbag light from the dash is gone while the passenger airbag light is working correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you polar vortex for visiting Canada, I have experienced this issue.
Thank you OP for helping us out!

I will do this fix when it warms up a bit. It's kinda silly that the "Passenger Airbag" bulb causes the AIRBAG light to come on and disables the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Outback 2008 2.5i

When ignition is turned to ON, Passenger Airbag ON (map light console) + Passenger Airbag OFF (map light console) + Airbag Light (Instrument Custer) are supposed to come on for 6 seconds.

In my case frequently the Passenger Airbag ON (map light console) would not illuminate during test and this was followed by the Airbag Light (instrument cluster) remaining illuminated. Like many this would frequently happen when it was cold or humid.

Brought to dealer and was diagnosed with Code 26, suggested I had to change passenger seat cushion sensor ($600 part plus labour). No thanks!

Easy to take apart. Followed You Tube Video :
Subaru Legacy Airbag Light fix! (full tutorial)

It only recommends soldering the back side of circuit board (ie side that does NOT have the light diodes). Reinstalled and still had same symptoms.

Took apart again. Examined diode side carefully and detected hairline cracks in solder. Re-soldered and now everything works.

This is without doubt a manufacturing defect given how systemic and chronic the problem is It is appalling that Subaru has not issued a service bulletin and corrective action.

IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM EXAMINE BOTH SIDES OF CIRCUIT BOARD WITH MAGNIFYING GLASS. IT SEEMS THAT BAD SOLDER JOINTS ON BOTH SIDES ARE CAUSING PROBLEM.

If course there are other failures that can cause AIRBAG lights to stay on but this is really the first place to start.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hoping someone can assist with my problem.
My passenger seat seatbelt warning (light and chime) is the current problem.
Back story - some weeks ago my wife noticed her belt wasn't done up (forgot) after I'd been driving for some miles. No warning chime, puzzling. When we got home I checked under the seat and found one unlatched 2-wire terminal. Found the female half of this (no idea when this originally parted company) and re-made the join. Checked on the overhead console and saw (with key on, sitting in the passenger seat) that the "seatbelt unfastened" icon was lit. Did up the seat belt and the light stayed lit. Driving, "seatbelt unfastened" icon on overhead stays lit and the chime sounds incessantly - only way to stop it is to break the connectors under the seat I'd found separated earlier.
I've thoroughly inspected under the seat and nothing seems off. I've opened the overhead console and found one - not 4 - led's as in this thread. My car only has one led - lighting the "seatbelt unfastened" icon I mentioned earlier. It does not have - never has - the "airbag" warning icons which others have mentioned. This in the overhead console. I've re-soldered all joints (only six; two power, 2 on the led and 2 on a resistor. No change - when someone is sitting in the seat, the icon illuminates to remind the occupant to do-up their belt but when you do that, the light stays lit and the chime sounds when moving.
I don't know when the connectors (suspect the occupant sensor) under the seat came to be disconnected. The car had it's airbag recall done months ago but I known no reason why the garage would have fiddled with this during a dashboard removal.
Summary - the seat occupant sensor (when connected) knows when someone occupies the seat but the car doesn't recognise, in this case that the seatbelt has been fastened (thereby silencing the chime and light/led).
Apologies for the essay, wanted to give a full picture. Any ideas where to look next?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem on my 2008. It did prove to be the electronics in the map light area. Had it soldered by a friendly mechanic and drove off. It worked for a while, but in the end, I had to replace the entire unit. It turns out that there were multiple problems and the unit just failed completely (badly designed part in my opinion). Sometime, spending the money on a replacement part saves a lot of time and grief (not always and I do like to try repair first). Now working great. Fortunately, I have a mechanic I trust and is very good. I managed a fleet of 44 vehicles for an organization and this mechanic maintained and repaired them for us regularly. They earned my trust - as opposed to the dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
THANK YOU for the step-by-step instructions. Worked great.

I did NOT disconnect the battery, just made sure not to touch anything electrical, especially before disconnecting the connectors.

A very minor addition to post #6:

On my 2007 OB:

-in step 4, there are 2 connectors, not 3.

I had THREE cracked solder joints. No wonder the airbag light has been intermittent for a couple of years (160,000 miles on the car). My dealership repair said that if the dashboard airbag light is on, you do not have airbags anywhere, even if the problem is in the overhead.

As expected, the car did not show a problem code before the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have dealt with the dash air bag light being in and off for over three years in my 2007. I was told by the dealership that it was Ann airbag module. I just I'd the measures in this post and no more air bag light on the dash. The passenger air bag on/off in the overhead console is now lit. Thanks for saving me a bunch of money!

121 - 131 of 131 Posts
About this Discussion
130 Replies
85 Participants
sumie
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing