Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2.5i Subaru Outback 2009
32 Posts
So I have the same problem on my 09 OB with the light on the instrument cluster coming on but haven't thought to look up at the passenger airbag light. But I did run computer and no codes even with the warning lights on... so I'm going to do some investigating and probably do this fix.

·
Registered
2003 LL-Bean 82k, 2002 OBW 188k
117 Posts
I have a passenger side airbag code on my 2005, but it has the light on the dash above the radio. The light showing it OFF, is working properly. I'm going to remove the seat so I can check the wiring underneath.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I completed this soldiering fix on my 05 Legacy XT. The passenger seat light is working again. When I start the car, the airbag light turns on for 6 seconds as it should, then turns off for a moment, then comes back on and stays on. Not able to pass inspection because of this. The dealership is telling me the whole console needs to be replaced, something about the way its all wired together with the airbag system, seems like they don't really know. Is there a simple fix for this? Has anyone else run into this issue?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Not sure if it will help. But my connections looked perfectly fine and even tested fine. Yet the light was always there on the dash. Despite them looking fine I re-touched every single one of them and it fixed the issue for me. So if you only tried ones that looked suspicious I would recommend to re-touch all of them. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Good luck.

·
Registered
2.5i Subaru Outback 2009
32 Posts
Re-soldered my overhead console today. Went ahead and threw solder on each of the connections. Each one had a crack in the soldering...wish I got a before picture. Here is the after. Definitely works before the lights wouldn't even show up and sometimes just the off.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
18 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I knew about that light needing to be connected otherwise the red would turn on. I just changed the sunroof in my car, and the red light came on, while I was testing the new sunroof. Once I connected that back on, the red light went out after startup. As for mine. I just modified my maps lights, so if it fails on my car, I will just re-solider the surface-mount resistors. I decided to add two more wires to the Map lights so when I the dome light turns on, the map lights also turn on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Outback 2.5i Ltd, and the airbag light has come on since it has been cold out. On warmer days, the light will randomly display. So, I had the dealer run a diag on it, since my car was in there for a transmission issue. When I picked up my car, the dealer told me the light wasn't throwing any type of code, and they found the issue to be a burned out LED bulb, located in the map light overhead console. This is the passenger ON/OFF light, and sure enough, if I tapped on it, the light would flicker. I asked how much it would cost to fix, he said it would be around $340 (- the $65 i paid for the diag), and the whole overhead console would need to be replaced. SO for a burned out bulb, it would cost me $270...are you kidding me??!! I now understand why so many refer to the dealer as the STEALER. Unbelievable. I was told that since the airbag light was on, the airbags would not deploy.

So, I jumped online, and found the overhead console (OEM) sold for around $115. I looked at mine, and figured out how to remove it .... remove the lens, and 2 screws secure it. So, now I am looking at the cost of the part, installing myself, and saving the ridiculous $160 installation fee (I guess it is $80/screw).

I figured since I had mine out, I might as well look at it. I removed the PCB that contained the 4 LEDs. With closer inspection, I could see one of the components on the board was loose...as in there wasn't enough solder to secure it. So, I whipped out the old soldering iron, and bolstered it a little. I may have added a little too much, but it was the best I could do w/ the tools I have @ home (better lab tools @ work). Anyway, tested it....works perfectly. In the pic below, I have called out the component that was loose.

I'd like to know what you all think about it. If it's a legit fix, hopefully I help someone else.
I soldered the same chip on the same side and now all the LEDs are working and the airbag light is off. Many thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow, this thread saved me a lot of confusion. 08' outback wagon bought in May, was getting intermittent Airbag light with passengers.
Re-soldered the connections and good to go :)

141 - 150 of 150 Posts