Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Sedan & 2007 Outback XT
63 Posts
i just did this fix on my obxt and it worked well, thank you all!
no more airbag light, and the maplight indicator is correctly lit now.

now to call the dealership and get airbags replaced/recalls...

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i EJ253 4EAT
79 Posts
Code 29 - "ODS failure". Time to dig under the passenger seat ... will report if I find smth.

The manual says - check the fuse (seems OK), check the connectors under the seat and if the light keeps coming swap the control module ... or fix the seat sensor itself. Have anyone done any of this? I'll probably unbolt the passenger seat this weekend and reconnect all harness ... but don't want to meddle with the control module (bad ground? moisture?)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Per Service manual I took the seat out - the short 14mm screws were not tight at all. The ODS is actually a bladder filled with a liquid, and a liquid-filled tube is connected to a "pressure transducer" - probably a simple membrane with a contact. It's my primary suspect. Found no loose connections, and the control module is riveted to the seat. If the error comes back the manual says "replace the sensor and the module as those are one unit", i.e. replace the seat ... no way. Will have to hack that thing into compliance ... somehow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something worth checking, and i believe it was mentioned in this thread, or other similar threads. Having the same issue on a USDM 2006 Outback 2.5i. Today i pulled the drivers seat to find this unused connector for the TPMS system to find it sitting in a small amount of water from some recent rains. Cut each wire individually and used heat shrink to protect them, my Pass Airbag Light went off and hasn't returned.

Background info, and hopefully a source of info for anyone else having this issue in the future. This has happened intermittently after heavy rains for a while, and only recently started being bad enough to drain my battery. The screen where mpg, trip time, temp are displayed, would display ERR solid, then begin flashing ACC even with the key out and doors shut. The "Pass Air Bag" light located above the map lights would also stay on after the key was removed. After searching for several hours i found that either the PCB behind the airbag light may need resoldered (mine didn't, but i did it anyways), and/or this TPMS harness connector under the drivers seat was corroded.

Note that I needed to take the bolts for the seat out (14mm) but the seat didn't necessarily need to be removed from the car. My harness was taped up to the left of the floor vent, simply follow the harness going to your seat into the carpet and you should feel the connector. I found it easier to pull the harness out the side towards the door as opposed to pulling it up through the slit in the carpet under the seat.

Per Service manual I took the seat out - the short 14mm screws were not tight at all. The ODS is actually a bladder filled with a liquid, and a liquid-filled tube is connected to a "pressure transducer" - probably a simple membrane with a contact. It's my primary suspect. Found no loose connections, and the control module is riveted to the seat. If the error comes back the manual says "replace the sensor and the module as those are one unit", i.e. replace the seat ... no way. Will have to hack that thing into compliance ... somehow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks, I think I know what are you talking about but my arrangement is different - the corresponding connector is dead center with respect to the passenger seat, under the carpeting between the two vent conduits. The connectors for the seat brach out of there, but I don't remember seeing an unused connector.

Anyway, for now the error is gone. The weather here in Europe is mild and relatively dry. I'll have to wait for the the temp to drop below freezing at night to see if it will come back. If it does come back I'll take the seat out, dig for that connector under the carpet and take pics.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i SOHC 5MT
18 Posts
My airbag light illuminates intermittently. Very occasionally on the first start of the day after the self-check it will extinguish. 90% of the time the airbag light will remain on.

When someone is seated in the passenger seat without seat belt fastened the seat belt warning light does not illuminate. When the seat belt is fastened the passenger airbag ON does not illuminate.

I suspect something with either of the three components below.

I have soldered the points on the overhead console circuit board twice. Would it be worth buying a new module? (CAD 275.00) Could it be something else in the circuitry?

Does anyone have any experience with changing the "occupation detection sensor"?

Do you need a special Subaru auto code reader to get the airbag code?

I have an appointment booked with the dealer in 10 days but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
511 Posts
Just succeeded in doing the solder repair, worked for me too! 2007.

Something worth checking, and i believe it was mentioned in this thread, or other similar threads. Having the same issue on a USDM 2006 Outback 2.5i. Today i pulled the drivers seat to find this unused connector for the TPMS system to find it sitting in a small amount of water from some recent rains. Cut each wire individually and used heat shrink to protect them, my Pass Airbag Light went off and hasn't returned.
Nice work on finding that unused plug as a secondary cause of the issue!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't take full credit for the find, but I don't remember right off who to credit. But I'm glad the information has helped!

As an update for anyone else reading this in the future, I have had no issues with the light(s) coming back since cutting/heat shrinking the wires.

Just succeeded in doing the solder repair, worked for me too! 2007.

Nice work on finding that unused plug as a secondary cause of the issue!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Though I had soldered the connections on the dome light assy I replaced it with a new one (CAD 275) thinking it was perhaps defective in some other way. Still get the air bag light. Funny thing is that in the morning on the first start it does not come until after 45 mins or so. Brought it to the dealer where they got an error code 2C which apparently means a fault in the front passenger seat belt tensioner. Quoted me CAD 490 parts and labour to replace.

While the part is on order I shopped around for a used. One used part dealer told me that in Quebec they are not allowed to resell used airbag components for safety reasons. There is some logic to that. You might be installing a defective part. Though the system does a pre check when you turn on the igintion there still could be a problem if the part has been sitting in a scrap car for a while. I was willing to take a chance it is just not worth the time and risk that I find a part install it only to discover it is defective. So back to the dealer where they will not even credit me for the code scan even if they subsequently do the repair.

·
Registered
'06 OBW, 2.5i, 4AT, Champagne Gold Opal (hate that colour!)
167 Posts
Same boat, but I'm getting my mechanic to do it.

Go to a scrap yard, get the part. Easy as pie.

Or buy a brand new one from Rock Auto, for $100.00 or so.

EDIT* Doesn't look like RA has them in stock anymore. Saw they had one (some?) about a month ago. (I'm waiting for scrapyards to open, otherwise I would've bought it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made this repair: re-soldered poor connections on the overhead "annunciator" board that shows status of the air bag.
This made the indications work correctly. They never made sense before. Also caused the "Air Bag" indicator in the dashboard to turn off. Everything works correctly now. Very satisfying. Good advice here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the seat belt tensioner replaced by dealer. It was the source of the airbag light constant illumination. It is a one hour job. I would be weary about installing a seat belt tensioner from a scrap yard. It could also be defective. Spend the extra couple of hundred bucks it is a safety issue, some one's life depends on it

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
505 Posts
For those not brave or comfortable enough to attempt soldering it on your own. I have been doing this for years for customers at the dealership I work for and on Ebay under the same username as I'm using here. The item number for my repair is 143328485880. I charge $35 which includes shipping back to you. Cheers!
I wish I could contact this person - ebay searches avail me nothing.
It's my son's car, a 2005 Legacy wagon, with just one LED on that top board, which works. A mechanic had it for a week and never figured it out, gave it back, and charged me nothing. The light wasn't on when we bought the car about 3 months ago, but now it is, below the tach.

I fear for his safety with possibly non functioning airbags.

Can one buy just the little circuit board somewhere? I'm pretty good with google but can't find it. Anyone know the part number?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R, '06 STI, '15 Crosstrek, '91 Justy, '93 Loyale,
35 Posts
Thanks for this thread!
Another successful repair after (badly) re-soldering the resistors.
My warning light would come on intermittently, seemingly more often after a drastic change in temperature. And now this year with the cooler fall mornings it would be on most days.
10 minutes to remove, solder, and install and it looks like it's fixed. I should have just done this years ago.

·
Registered
19,520 Posts
2005 Legacy wagon, with just one LED on that top board,
The 2005 has only one LED warning light in the overhead console, but that is for the passenger seatbelt, not airbag.

In the 2005, the passenger airbag warning lights (airbag ON, airbag Off) are in the multi-information display (MID) just above the radio.
(They were moved to the overhead console, along with the passenger seatbelt lights, as of 2006.)

Consequently, if the passenger airbag warning lights in the MID work, and the AIRBAG warning light in the instrument cluster is on, it's probably not the same soldering fault as the in the overhead airbag warning light display that this thread covers.

When the AIRBAG light is on, there should be related trouble codes stored in the Airbag Control Module. The codes will indicate the area of the fault in the airbag system. The Subaru Select Monitor (dealer) or an equivalent scanner tool that can access the airbag control module and read the codes is needed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just did it to my 2008 Outback, I was tired of the airbag light coming on and off, and it seems like when the airbag light comes on, the car temporarily loses power. Reflowed all the solder connections and no more light. I even forgot how the passenger airbag light off looked like. The hardest part was to figure out that since I don't have a sunroof there are 2 screws in the sunglasses compartment and my Valentine one was in the way (I have it mounted to the sunglasses compartment lid with doublesided tape) Thanks for the original poster for finding this fix!

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
505 Posts
The 2005 has only one LED warning light in the overhead console, but that is for the passenger seatbelt, not airbag.

In the 2005, the passenger airbag warning lights (airbag ON, airbag Off) are in the multi-information display (MID) just above the radio.
(They were moved to the overhead console, along with the passenger seatbelt lights, as of 2006.)

Consequently, if the passenger airbag warning lights in the MID work, and the AIRBAG warning light in the instrument cluster is on, it's probably not the same soldering fault as the in the overhead airbag warning light display that this thread covers.

When the AIRBAG light is on, there should be related trouble codes stored in the Airbag Control Module. The codes will indicate the area of the fault in the airbag system. The Subaru Select Monitor (dealer) or an equivalent scanner tool that can access the airbag control module and read the codes is needed.
That's the crux, and I thank you for that info.
I went to another mechanic today who says "Don't worry, I can find it"

·
Registered
133 Posts
I removed the airbag indicator module and found the solder joints of the wires to the board were cold. Resoldered the wires as well as the large capacitors (rectangular surface mount).

No more airbag light and it's not hard to do, if you've done any electronics soldering.

161 - 180 of 198 Posts